IGNORED

Z Stolen this Morning in LA County, CA

DeMoore

So I just got home from work about a half hour ago to find that the 1978 280z t-top that I bought about a month ago and have spent a ton of money on was just stolen. The picture of her is in my avatar and the paint job is new stock color, with black brand new reupholstered leather seats and new carpet, not to mention a ton of other stuff that I bought to restore it. Anyway, I don't hold out much hope except that the engine needed a lot of work and they might abandon it somewhere, but if anyone sees it for sale, I'll check back on this thread for any tips. I spent months looking for just that year and condition; it was my dream car.

License plate 5UKK201

Color is reddish brown, I think it's officially wine red.

Original 78 bumpers

Pop-top t-top that opens to the rear and don't come off.

Stolen from Covina, California, 91723

VIN: HLS30-428278

THE DREAM IS GONE

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Man, this is the second one in a short time down there. Why would people steal Z's? For what these things are worth, I really wouldn't risk getting caught for grand theft auto.

It seems like you guys really need to put GPS chips into your rides down there. I don't think that they are a lot of money, and can help you catch these people. Get to have the last laugh.

I like what GM and BMW have done with their OnStar and whatever BMW calls theirs. Was watching on TV with a GM with OnStar. They set up a trap. Left the windows down and the keys in the car. Didn't have to wait longer before the car was stolen. They had a camera in the dash, and shortly after he started going, the people from OnStar took control of the car, shut it off, and locked the doors. The guys reactions were priceless. ROFL

I know that they at least have GPS systems that you can install for pretty cheap and I am sure that you can find some kind of remote shutoff device for not that much either. Should be a really good investment no matter the cost.

Sry for your loss, and I hope that you get the baby back.

man that really sucks, I guess I should stop leaving the keys in mine. I didn't think anyone would steal a Z, they stand out to much. Its not exactly like stealing a beige civic. I guess Its a respect thing, a true Z person would never steal a Z. Just like where I work, a real tech would never steal another techs' tools.

This thread got me thinking and googling ... this looks like a good and cheap option ...

http://www.gpsonsale.com/vehicletrackingdevices/products/TrimTrac.htm

You can use a T-mobile pre-paid plan (100 bucks a year) and it should cover you quite well ... also should bring down any costs on insurance and give those out there some piece of mind.

As discussed before, a kill-switch, is another good idea ...