IGNORED

msa performance exhaust, 6-1 header with pics

xray

Question (Don't laugh - I just want input to do it right) - I am fixin' to install my 6 into 1 header and noticed the front and rear stud holes are larger than the rest. This can be seen in the photos of the original post. So, is just a large flat washer adequate to use when mounting such as what appears to be used in this installation?

Thanks

Hi Arnie,

On my 1971 Z I've got a 2.5'' system that finishes up with a nicely tucked in (out of sight) oval Dynomax. As is, the intake is centered and the output is offset. By way of mention,the system starts with a full header and was quite loud and with a bit of drone. I since have added a 'Cherrybomb' about mid-length to the system; it removed the drone and made a deeper (more pleasing ) sound to the system.

Regards,

George

I really like the idea of this system, but I don't think I could handle the look of that oval muffler hanging down so low and at an odd angle. Why, oh why couldn't they have built this system around a better fitting muffler? If they made the same system in 2 1/4" using a Dynomax 17-741 (a 6" round muffler), I'd have my credit card out in a flash.

I liked seeing this old thread as the pics on the first page are beauties.

Same here. I got a new MSA 6-1 with MSA's old-style Premium exhaust (slip fit instead of flanged) with a Z I got recently and have been thinking about what I want to do with it. Good read!

• 2 months later...

I just installed this exhaust system into my z yesterday. Added the 6 to 1 ceramic coated header and premium exhaust all at once. Header install was a quick task since I just had my intake and exhaust off recently so I didn't have to fight any stuck fasteners. The pipe portion of the installation also went smoothly with minimal wrestling of the hangers. A couple things that trouble me with the installation are the clearances in two spots. Under the differential is very tight and may contact under vibration and the clearance between the last bend going into the muffler is quite close to the rear tire. I'm running 16x8" +10 offset rims with 225s so I'm sure that is why I have such a tight clearance. I plan on crawling under there again to see if I can wiggle it over a little bit more, but ultimately I'm thinking that I will have to take it to a exhaust shop and have them tweak it a little. I might have 3/8" between the tire and exhaust pipe.

I thought mine was a little close to the tire, but I have 4 to 6 inches between the tire and pipe. Are you using the center or the corner (for lack of better description) inlet on the muffler? I believe the center is the intended inlet, but I'm not sure how you could get it that close to the tire using the center. I ended up suing a Borla muffler just to get it to fit better. Same design but slightly smaller dimensions.

I'm using the the offset side as the inlet. I fiddled around with it both ways and the offset side seemed to fit the best. I just rotated the muffler a little and it doesn't stick down that much. Either way the last bend is only a finger width from the tire. After just now crawling around underneath it I also realized that the r200 is getting in the way of the pipe and preventing it from moving away from the tire. I ground the little edge off the diff that was contacting the pipe and gained a minute amount of clearance. Now it's closer to a half inch away, but it is still touching or darn close to the differential.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought MSA's slip fit system for my race car. My header is an unknown brand, so I figured I would have more adjustability with the slip fit system. There is about a 4" gap between the MSA exhaust and my header collector, so I'm going to weld a short stub onto the collector and put a 3 bolt flange on the outlet. I will then add a 2.5" SS braided flex pipe with a flange on the inlet. That way, I will relieve the stress on my manifold studs and have a system that I can quickly remove if I need to pull the engine. This will also allow the system to mate up even if the collector and exhaust pipe aren't perfectly aligned.

I'm currently in the process of getting it all mocked-up so I can buy and attach the flex pipe. I had a heck of a time getting all of the pipes to fit properly without hitting the R200, the suspension, and my modified tunnel for a lowered seat. I tried and tried to get the muffler to tuck in nicely, but no matter how I rotated it or which end I used as the inlet, it just doesn't fit that great. At least it's just my race car and I don't care if it is perfectly aligned with the valence cutout or if the pipe touches the diff from time to time. I ended up using the offset as the inlet and the center hole as the outlet. Otherwise, it fit much worse. Some instructions would have been really helpful rather than the trial and error method I used.