IGNORED

1971 240Z history Question for anyone who knows

Zman71

Hi, im new to the forum and the Z world so bare with me and my dumb questions for a couple months. I just bought a 240Z that im restoring and it was made in December of 1971. Now when im doing some research on the net, I've found some 71's with the rear quarter roof emblem that says 240Z, and other ones that just have the Z emblem on that panel. I want to be period correct, but i really like that 240Z emblem LOL. My car doesn't have the rear hatch vents, and most of the cars I've seen have the vents and emblem hand in hand, but i have seen some without the vents and they have the 240Z emblem. :stupid:

Can anyone help me out?

If your car doesn't have the vents then you want to use the 240Z emblem to be period correct...
No, that's backwards.

The 240Z pillar emblems were used up through 12/70 production, as well as on some 1/71 built cars. Mid-way through 1/71 they changed to the round Z emblem. The 240Z pillar emblems are emblems only, while the round Z emblems are actually vent covers. When they stopped using the vents in the hatch, they put the vents in the pillars instead. That's when and why the emblems changed.

Your car built in 12/71 was well after the change to the round Z emblem. The earlier 240Z emblem won't fit your car without modification anyway.

I have seen a 1970 Canadian dealership marketing document showing an early (pre-production) 240 that had NO side pillar 240 emblems. It also had no radio or antenna.

So ? I have seen one with no door handles and fender flairs, the marker lights were gone also. After all these years there are all kinds of cars out there.

Hi, im new to the forum and the Z world so bare with me and my dumb questions for a couple months. I just bought a 240Z that im restoring and it was made in December of 1971.

If your car was made in Dec. of 1971 - it is a 1972 Model Year. Therefore it would have No Vents on the rear deck lid, and it would have had the Round Z or "Vented Z" emblems on the side.

Check your Date Of Manufacture - - did you really mean December of 1970? Or publish the VIN from your car.

FWIW,

Carl B.

So ? I have seen one with no door handles and fender flairs, the marker lights were gone also. After all these years there are all kinds of cars out there.

I believe I've also seen the picture he's referring to or one like it. It isn't a photo depicting mods that could have been made "after all these years". It's a pre-production photo.

Another possibility is that someone has filled in the side pillar vent holes. If there are no vent holes in the pillar or in the rear deck lid some further investigation may be necessary. I guess the question that needs answering is where are your car's vents?

The production date was December 1971, and the guy i bought it from said there wasn't any emblems in the vent holes so he just went to a junk yard and grabbed what he could find to put in them, so it threw me off. Thanks for all your advice guys, the more im learning about Z's the more im liking them LOL.