IGNORED

oil change

1973z240

Posts a few months ago advised using diesel rated oil or an additive supplement like STP in all L series engines because valve train wear problems have started showing up since ZDDP (an anti-wear additive) levels in oil for gasoline engines were cut by half about a year ago.

Just a thought.

I was dubious of this, it sounded like an urban legend. After extensive searching on the internet I found this:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Flat_Tappet_Engines.aspx

Apparently the issue is the phosphorous that is in the older engine oil because it can damage catalytic converters. That is the often repeated statement by those who don't seem to have a financial motive to sell some additive or something.

I also found several "experts" who loudly denounced using either diesel oil, or engine oil additives in gasoline engines. Who am I to judge?

However, you will note that Mobil still maintains that for "normal service", standard engine oil is fine. Don't agree? Do your own research and make up your own mind.

• 2 months later...

i use the bosch 3500 oil filter. it's much larger than the specified one in the autozone/advance catalog. used it on both my L24 and L28 engines, it does take a bit more oil, usually about 5.5 quarts with this larger oil filter.

also, if you're running a fairly new rebuilt engine, don't mess with a heavy weight oil, it doesn't need it. my engine maintains good oil pressure and has about 20k miles since it's rebuild, so 30 weight is as heavy as I will go. 40 and 50 weight creates too much friction and heat for a motor that doesn't need it.