IGNORED

oil change

1973z240

im gonna have an oil change on a 73 240 but it has a 74 engine.

for 15 bucks id rather have them do it, than me.

the question is how much oil do they put it?

cause honestly places like pep boys dont know $^!# bout old z's

and frankly i dont either.

Regarding the amount of oil for your motor, I really don't know-but it should be about 4.75 quarts.

I do most wholeheartedly suggest that you do not go to a quickie lube type place. Nothing against them personally, but I have heard too many horror stories about not 1. replacing the filter with a new one (you are in the car and can not see it) and 2. not torquing on the drain plug enough or too much.

If you do not want to do it yourself, go to a mechanic shop or dealership. For those folks, car maintenance is a full time gig, not a part time job.

Now I know that not all quick lube places are bad, and if you know people there, or have had consistently good service, then good for you.

I, however, am not willing to risk it.

Personally, I'd do it myself too, always do. Places like that tend to way over tighten drain plugs and sometimes usually leave a mess of the oil resulting in that burned oil smell on the way home. I'd turn it into a learning experience and do it myself, it's pretty easy. Like David said, it's a little over 4.5 quarts. An FYI, PH8A is the code for a Fram filter which is the brand most auto parts stores (around here atleaste) carry.

Since I work at a dealer, i cringe at anything less than a factory filter. I do my own maintaince, and I do it right. I hate seeing lube stickers from the local quickie....always wonder if they did it right and what they missed. Personal pet peeve. I wouldn't run anything less than a Wix, or Napa gold, same thing, or factory filter. A L-series Z uses a 1520843g00 filter. Mine seems to like 20/50 Castrol best to make reasonable oil pressure, but it has almost 300,000 miles on it...

Devin

Get a Hayens manual. It will become your new best friend.

Google might answer your question. If the oil cap says some kind of oil, just use that unless you want something better. Me, I just used my good old Castrol GTX 5w-30 or 10w-30 and anti-sludge or high mileage depending on the season and car which I am putting it in. Used the same for my 240z and all runs fine.

Plus from everyone that I have heard (mechanics and non-mechanics), Castrol is supposed to be the best by far for the cheap end of oil.

Brother even had an experience that is sort of funny. Changed his oil with a mechanic buddy for normal maintenance. His buddy said things like, "You put in so and so oil in didn't you? I can tell because of blah blah blah. With these other bad oils you can tell because of blah blah blah. Use Castrol if you don't use any of the fancy stuff."

Would a Chilton's manual suffice? cause unless i get it online, a chilton's all i can get (at checkers next door)

I don't really care much about the COST of oil, as far as i do the QUALITY of the oil ^^

so for me, I don't mind usin something a bit more expensive in my car, as long as it's the right kind, with the right properties.

I was reading up on the forums a bit about how a lot of oils are reducing the ZDDP levels in them, which in an old car like a z, is a bad thing, and that VR1 has those high levels of zddp required for cars like ours

(something along those lines. I know zddp bonds to the metal to form an added barrier, which if i remember, is why our cars need them)

Oil Capacity... For my '72 it is: Oil pan capacity - 4.25 US Quarts, which is good to know if you are not changing the filter for some odd reason (I always change it at an oil change). When the filter is replaced (with the typically larger original equipment oil filter) the capacity is 5.25 US Quarts. Keep in mind that the other brand filters are often somewhat smaller than the original equipment unit, so the amount of oil needed to fill it will be less - consider using about 5 quarts with a smaller filter (again, a smaller filter will fit, but what the manufacturer recommends is larger). I think that your engine should take the same amount of oil as my '72 - can a '74 260Z owner verify that?

I use Castrol 10-30 - If the engine is worn, try 20-50. Everyone has an opinion on this subject, and many are different.... it also depends on the climate that you live in and the type of driving that you do.

An oil change is simple.... just did one this morning before I ran out to get a few things done. Tools required are minimal - wrench for oil plug, and wrench for the filter, a rag, a pan to catch the old oil.... that's about it. Try it - you can do the job as good as, or better than, a change place. If you must take it out, spend a few extra bucks and have a 'good' garage do the work. There are simply too many horror stories about the 'quickie' places (and they really are not inexpensive).

You will be proud of yourself when you are done, and will find that these animals are not too tough to tame. You'll gain some confidence to tinker a bit, and for me, that is part of the pleasure of ownership. It also can get very expensive taking the vehicle to someone each and every time something needs done. In my neighborhood there are very few people or places that I would trust to do very much to my Z.... the new breed may know basic auto mechanics, but they really do not know much about a Nissan L-series engine or the rest of the car for that matter.

I lugged to WalMart of all places and had the "everything for 25 bucks" job done which included oil change, oil filter change, new wipers which they did not have because the Z is style they don't carry, battery check and tested, tire preasure check and interrior vacumed :)

You can chose what oil brand you like and I went with

good ol' Castrol GTX cause it was the one the '70 to '73 Rally Cars ran :)

~Z~

Posts a few months ago advised using diesel rated oil or an additive supplement like STP in all L series engines because valve train wear problems have started showing up since ZDDP (an anti-wear additive) levels in oil for gasoline engines were cut by half about a year ago.

Just a thought.