IGNORED

Producton Date 12/72

1972zed

Ok, Im a bit of a 240z snob. Always have been...

I had a 1970z that was pretty much restored. Sold it, eventually bought a 72 that needs a ton of work. I liked the 70, but have been brainwashed into believing the 72 is the best 240z.

I was at a junk yard today and they had just brought in a 12/72 240z.

(I assume its a 73) it has the flat top carbs. and it won't start.

they are going to sell it for $550. It needs a lot of interior work but the frame doesnt have holes and the floorboards appear to be ok. It looks like it was restored (at least the body was) in the past few years.

Im going to get the fenders and some other stuff off it. But I can't help thinking why don't I just buy the whole car and switch the carbs...

swap my interior into it and drive it.

question:

what are the differences between this and a 72. were the bumpers changed by 12/72? It kind of looks like the front bumper sits out a bit further.

what else?

Bumpers were a little bigger and heavier, emissions (carbs and such) were different, intermittent wipers weere added, seatbelts were improved, electric fuel pump was added...

In short, other than the carbs and bumpers, most everything else was an improvement. IMO a '73 with round-tops is probably the best 240Z to use as a driver.

...man, Im buying a sailboat this week. Might just tell the bank to give me another 500 bucks.

Can the bumpers be swapped to a 72 bumper?

Yep, I have a '72 front bumper on my '73. You just need to get the pre-73 mounts, which are still available new (got mine from MSA). There's no drilling required as the '73 still had the mounting points for the "old" bumper intact. :)

If thats true about the 73 being the best after you change to roundtops then isn't an early 74 260z even better still? Because didnt they add even more improvements to the 260 over the 240? Im not talking about resale value I just mean in general.

I went back to the junkyard at lunch. My daughter is taking a summer school class so it gives me an hour to kill. Nothing like wandering around a junkyard. Ha!

...anyway, I had a chance to see the car up on the rack. And Im much more relieved now. My biggest concern was hauling yet another POS home and listening to my wife bitch at me. I like to collect things...

anyway the floor pan frame under the passenger seat is rusted clear through and buckled. ANd it looks like the floors were replaced once already.

I will be stripping this car and donating the parts to my '72. fenders are good, front valence good.

questions: can I put the intermittent windshield wipers on my 72? can I put the lighted instument panel, seatbelts and electric fuel pump from the 73 onto the 72? these would seem like upgrades if its not too much work.

And I would like to get the rocker panels off it up to the fender bolts.

How can I take these off in a junkyard? anyone? a hacksaw comes to mind but seems like a full day job.