IGNORED

Homemade speaker box for 6x9s

TomoHawk

There is a wee bit more math to it if you want to tune your boxes to your speakers, here are some sites to help if you have a decent poop sheet on your speakers(but then if you did, it would suggest a range of correct volumes, and have given directions...)...

overview

http://www.kbapps.com/construction.html

A better overview

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=32

Basic math

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

There are a big old bunch of websites on this, but essentially they all boil down to three types

Ported, Completely sealed, and hybrid.

The box is open, the box is closed, the box is closed but effectively open.

If you had room in the car you could add horn loading, but that is quite a challenge in a Z.

Will

I made a basic box using left over MDF I had in my garage. Basically you take some measurements of the area you want to make the box in, then cut out a rough draft of the shape (over estimate by a lot) then use cardboard to fine tune your shape, cutting and changing the shape as you go along then using it as a final template for the cuts. I will post a picture later when I get a chance.

My 'box' isn't sealed, it's just a vertical board that has a hinge top (yet to be installed) so that i can get to my tail lights in the back. It works well cause you can't see the speakers in the back when you look from the rear of the car (much safer against the thieves). It's not the best box for sound quality, but it's all made out of recycled stuff, so the free price was right.

figure half a cubic foot per speaker. That'll give ya some good low end. Make sure that you aim the speakers towards the listener. You can also cross flow the sound by placing each 6X9 in the back corners of your Z. Aiming the left speaker at the right side and so on.

Just remember that high end systems don't have high wattage audio amps to make them louder, they made them cleaner and clearer at both HI and LOW volumes. Underpowering your speakers by using only the wattage provided by the cd player can actually harm your speakers over time. When a speaker is designed with 50 watts RMS and a max rating of 200 watts, you should at least have a 100 watt amp. 50 watts per speaker and so on.

Don't use Plywood!! Tom, the 80's called, they want their plywood speaker box's back.

Use cardboard for making each template, it's cheaper than wasting good wood or fiberglass.

my 2 cents

Dave.

Thought ya might get a kick out of that one.

2 weeks ago, some Honda driving little punk had the nerve to tell me that "the 70's called, they want their car back" So my quick comeback was "that's OK, the 90's called, they want their diapers back"

He drove off without another word. Young punks.

Dave.

PS. Bumping your cubic feet up a notch will help with the lower end, 6X9's round off to about a 7.5 inch speaker and always sound better in about a 1/2 CF box. Sealed of coarse.

FWIW

I think my boxes are the biggest that will fit in the back of my car. I measured the area, then went to BestBuy and they had some finished boxes that were an inch too wide. O-L.. No biggie for me to make the boxes (I used to build cabinets). Just that glue takes a night to fix.

I need to decide on a vinyl or carpet (felt?) covering.

thx

At a chain called "Princess Auto", that sells low cost Chinese (mostly) manufactured goods - I found 6" X 9" cases as Tomohawk is making and 240zgraham73 shows, but felt covered, prewired c/w rear connectors, glued and batten stuffed for $8 cdn.

I installed a set of Pioneer demos $20 in them and hooked up to a middle of the road Sony radio (c/w input for Ipod) - grand total $140 cdn. Very pleased.

I think without cutting up your Z these boxes work great even if they look a little dated. Their low cost makes them look better to me.

"I think without cutting up your Z these boxes work great even if they look a little dated. Their low cost makes them look better to me."

Don't consider them "dated"...How about period correct?

Isn't that Princess Auto great? You never know what you will come across. Every time I go in there, they have something different. They get a lot of old/surplus inventory in bulk too.

So I take it you'd think that a felt covering for rthe speaker boxes would be the correct thing to do? With the black loop pile carpering in the back, and the silver-grey side panels I think I'd go for a matte-grey covering. Something that might not get too dirty if you handled them after driving several hours to a show, or on the road. Maybe even some of the newer polyester floor carpet.

There was never any mention of how big the pressure hole should be. What do you think for 6x9s in a box about 5x8x12?

Mine are done & ready for covering; I'll get some pics- if I can remember. :squareeye

thx