IGNORED

spings and struts are on! Big problem!

OK many of you may recall I've been posting questions about spring and strut choices for about a year, and finally settled on ST springs and Tockico HP's . My mechanic(who has owned 240-Z's) put em on today, and..

It's another case of the front end being over two inches taller, while the rear is OK. Note before and after pics.:stupid:

We do have the springs marked as "front" on the front end.

I was involved in thread regarding the ride height issues caused by newer gas pressurized shocks. But you may recall there was opinion voiced that newer spring designs, including the ST's would not have the increased ride height issue, with modern shocks.

This really sucks, so I'm hoping someone has a good idea on how to lower the front.

Maybe cut the fronts by one turn?

I know my mechanic weirded out that these "lowering" springs fit loosely in the perches, but I assured him from our club info that was normal.

If we cut a bit off, will they stay in the perches long enough to lower the car?

Other option is I still have the older yellow St's or Interpart springs that were on there before. I wonder if I could switch back to those front springs, or do you think the gas struts would just bring those up two inches as well?

I bought the springs and struts from the Shox.com guys.

They told me to call back if i had any questions when I ordered em, I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice first..

PS,

Ridewise it didnt seem to bad. My mechanic thought it was bone harsh, but he sold his 240-Z's to get into Studebakers.ROFL

post-5999-14150800604122_thumb.jpg

post-5999-14150800604473_thumb.jpg

Front end is out of whack. I am not faniliar with those springs but maybe the Tokico shocks were reversed front to rear???

I used the Tokico spring and shock package and it lowered car all around about an inch of so.

Do you recall which springs were longer? Should be longer in back, regardless of what the stickers said...

If you have them in right, you can cut 1/2 coils until you get the height you want. Cut with a cutoff wheel, not a torch. Also check the available travel on the strut. No point in lowering it so far that it rides on the bumpstops.

Arne, I'll check in the morning to see if I can count the coils on the fronts and rears, and see if it looks like the springs were mislabled.

Did BuDavid ever do the switch on his springs?

Interesting he he had mislabled springs from shox.com.

Because that would be exactly what happened to me.

If thats the case, it would be nice to have some sort of price break.

Anyway, I also recall another thread:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21115

Where it seemed it was the tockico HP's to blame. If it looks like we have the springs in correctly, I am going to guess that is the case.

Different story on that thread - on that one both ends were tall, not just the front. (At least, that was the case after all four were installed.) Your situation seems more like BuDavid's.

Front end is out of whack. I am not faniliar with those springs but maybe the Tokico shocks were reversed front to rear???

I used the Tokico spring and shock package and it lowered car all around about an inch of so.

Ron,

I have used that same package (Tokico springs and struts) and in every case my ride height was even from front to rear. The only exception is when I installed the Tokico HP struts and Tokico springs on my '86 300ZX the ride height was slightly lower in the front but aparently this is common for the Z31when using the Tokico combo.

Well I called shox.com, where they then referred to a direct phone number to the manufacturer(or maybe the importer?) KW automotive. They gave me some more info on the ST springs. I was told the front springs would have slightly thinner wire and be 9 TURNS . Not coils per se, but turns. In other words the half turn legnth at either end does not count as a coil, but if you follow through to the next coil in the same place as the first half legnth , that would be one turn. (hope you can follow that). I will check later today if I get a chance.

As far as any credit, I talked to one fellow who said I could document the problem with good pics, and an estimate from my mechanic as to the cost to redo, there was a CHANCE I could get some compensation.

I did send those folks the link to this thread, to give them an idea that other members of our club would be interested in the results, implying that their customer service and accuracy in labeling the springs correctly would be a factor on future sales from our club members.

BTW, they said if itlooks like the springs were labeled correctly, it would be best to pull em off and sendem back to the manufacurer where they would "test them to make sure they were for the correct application".