IGNORED

Which Ignition System do you use?

Ed

My 71 street machine has the Crane Fireball XR3000 with the Crane Fireball PS91 performance coil. The installation was pretty easy. Haven't fired it up yet.

My 72 has an Allison trigger into an MSD 6-AL. It performs wonderfully.

• 3 weeks later...

Stock for now. Will go with a type of electronic in the future. Has anyone heard of JACOBS ignition? A mechanic who owns a toyota performance shop (I know, I know, but he seems to know his stuff:geek: ) swears by it.

I installed one on my ford truck and it improved the mileage ,performance and overall smoothness . I have been contimplating one for the Z but it works so well with the zx that I cant see how it could improve , however I know it would. the Jacobs even burns so clean that it is reported that you can go 20% longer on oil changes. I still change at 3k however. these things are not cheep but are a vary quality product. I pulled the booklet on mine and here is the web site. jacobselectronics.com shoot them a e-mail also here is there phone # and I recommend you give them a call , they can supply alot of information. 1800-627-8800 Let me know what you decide and the best of luck to you . What I bought for my v-8 was a OMNI MAGNUM TEAM EZ cost $399.00

If you do go that way and get one , would you please let me know how it works for you ?? I have seriously been thinking about installing a Jacobs only I need to many other things first like a paint job. It comes down to $ and where to put it first. You should first get the '79zx dist. because you are going to need a better dist than the old one with points. I forget what year z you are driving , but if you are running points the coil is only supplied with 8volts to keep from frying the points. When you install a electronic ign, you supply the coil with 12v and remove the ballest resister. I picked my complete ignition coil dist . with cap and rotor and almost new 8mm spark plug wires. $75.00 at the All Z boneyard here in Portland. You need the part that the dist. bolts on to that fits to the engine because the old one wont work also get the bracket that holds the coil because the new zx coil is larger . You will be able to use your stock tach with the '79 set up. Be sure that the dist. has a little black box on the side and it is marked 12 80 . If it is from a later engine and it is marked 12 94 it will not work rite and will retard the spark at upper rpms. There is a lot of help available on the net for this mod . Jacobs advises that you increase the spark plug gap to about 60k or there abouts at least they did for my v-8 .The Jacobs is a real flame thrower ! All the best to you. P.S. I just looked your chev. would also benefit from one also.

I'll more than likely go with the zx setup first, then later on give Jacobs a try. Like you said, there are other areas that can use the $ first. I thought you have to use the tach from an electronic igition (or at least the guts). Think I read that on Brian Little's website.