IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Hi!

I've been following this thread with great interest and i'd like to provide you with some information i get. I've been in contact with THE Rauno Aaltonen (i dont think i need to explain who he is) and among other things, i asked him about the car he was testing in Monte Carlo back in 1970. This is his reply rougly translated:

"...What comes to car i was testing in Monte -70, you can say it was built to be rally cars prototype and it has little common with stock car.

Carburators were 3 dual carbs, Mikuni or Weber i dont remember. It has lock differential (?i dont know the word), racing chassis and all the unnecessary was stripped off. So about car you can say it was mobile laboratory, electrical memory measured simultaneosly over 40 different things. Colour was red like the all factory (Nissan) racing cars at the time.

Results were that good that i participated -71 Monte gaining unique result of 5. in general(?) competition. Monte was a RALLY back then, not a kindergarten like it is today. I used 3 years as a main test driver for making 240Z a race car and eventually results were good. Safari wons etc.

Those racing cars were so different from stock that you cant compare them. In the other hand racing car VIN's were for authorities only. With same number you could have many cars. It was so called "Carnee"..."

and second mail where i asked about more about car (was it Z432-R or...), he didnt answer all though.

"...as far as i know it was pure 240Z because we were concentrated purely on this cars advantages and disadvantages. Even the smallest detalis could make difference! Car had a right hand steering. I could drive occasionally with left hand steering but mostly right hand..."

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi!

I've been following this thread with great interest and i'd like to provide you with some information i get. I've been in contact with THE Rauno Aaltonen (i dont think i need to explain who he is) and among other things, i asked him about the car he was testing in Monte Carlo back in 1970. This is his reply rougly translated:

"...What comes to car i was testing in Monte -70, you can say it was built to be rally cars prototype and it has little common with stock car.

Carburators were 3 dual carbs, Mikuni or Weber i dont remember. It has lock differential (?i dont know the word), racing chassis and all the unnecessary was stripped off. So about car you can say it was mobile laboratory, electrical memory measured simultaneosly over 40 different things. Colour was red like the all factory (Nissan) racing cars at the time.

Results were that good that i participated -71 Monte gaining unique result of 5. in general(?) competition. Monte was a RALLY back then, not a kindergarten like it is today. I used 3 years as a main test driver for making 240Z a race car and eventually results were good. Safari wons etc.

Those racing cars were so different from stock that you cant compare them. In the other hand racing car VIN's were for authorities only. With same number you could have many cars. It was so called "Carnee"..."

and second mail where i asked about more about car (was it Z432-R or...), he didnt answer all though.

"...as far as i know it was pure 240Z because we were concentrated purely on this cars advantages and disadvantages. Even the smallest detalis could make difference! Car had a right hand steering. I could drive occasionally with left hand steering but mostly right hand..."

Hope this helps a bit.

Al the Datsun 240z,s used for the rally and for recce in the 1971 Monte had different carnet nr and 4 of the 5 cars where LHD , just one customer 240z driven by Mr and Mrs van Bergen , from South Africa was RHD ,

One of these #62 driven by Raano Aaltonen in the 1971 Monte Carlo rally is still existing , and I know much more about , these 4 LHD cars where build in aug 1970 , regarding to the chassis nr from TKS33 SA 985 and changed in september to a Dutch registration .

Thanks to Alan , Rauno , Rob Janssen ( who was driving the car in the 1971 RAC Rally ) did we dig out the history .

Hi Guys:

I'm a little confused by the use of a couple terms - could be something lost in translation.

As I understand the definitions of the terms:

Chassis Number - - the serial number stamped into the body of the car, usually in sequential order that identifies that unique unit. Such as 00001, 00002, 00003......

Vehicle Identification Number {VIN} - - The series of letters and numbers that identify the completed vehicle.

Such as HLS30 00006, HLS30 00007, HLS30 00008.....

H = 2.4L engine

L = Left Hand Drive

S30 = 2 door sports coupe

00006 the chassis that car was built on.

Carnee/Carnet - - Japanese carnet registration number as Alan defined it - in effect the Japanese license plate number for identification of a specific car - which could have also had a License Plate issued by the country within which it was being operated.

So the Carnet ie the Japanese registration and the license plate could be transferred from one car to another - - and one car could have had more than one Carnet Number, depending on what Country it was registered for road use at what point in time.

However the VIN and its included Chassis Number were unique to a specific car. {Unless a car was completely rebuilt from others - and only one VIN was retained to identify it }

Adrian - - are you indicating that

1/1970 240z HLS30-1639

8/1970 240z HLS30-7996

8/1970 240z HLS30-7998

8/1970 240z HLS30-8449

Are the VIN's of the 4 LHD cars that were "Works Rally Cars" ? Or are they cars that you presently own?

From an earlier thread - #7996 was identified as TKS 33 SA 987 {71 Monte Carlo Rally}.

Thanks,

Carl B.

Hi Guys:

I'm a little confused by the use of a couple terms - could be something lost in translation.

As I understand the definitions of the terms:

Chassis Number - - the serial number stamped into the body of the car, usually in sequential order that identifies that unique unit. Such as 00001, 00002, 00003......

Vehicle Identification Number {VIN} - - The series of letters and numbers that identify the completed vehicle.

Such as HLS30 00006, HLS30 00007, HLS30 00008.....

H = 2.4L engine

L = Left Hand Drive

S30 = 2 door sports coupe

00006 the chassis that car was built on.

Carnee/Carnet - - Japanese carnet registration number as Alan defined it - in effect the Japanese license plate number for identification of a specific car - which could have also had a License Plate issued by the country within which it was being operated.

So the Carnet ie the Japanese registration and the license plate could be transferred from one car to another - - and one car could have had more than one Carnet Number, depending on what Country it was registered for road use at what point in time.

However the VIN and its included Chassis Number were unique to a specific car. {Unless a car was completely rebuilt from others - and only one VIN was retained to identify it }

Adrian - - are you indicating that

1/1970 240z HLS30-1639

8/1970 240z HLS30-7996

8/1970 240z HLS30-7998

8/1970 240z HLS30-8449

Are the VIN's of the 4 LHD cars that were "Works Rally Cars" ? Or are they cars that you presently own?

From an earlier thread - #7996 was identified as TKS 33 SA 987 {71 Monte Carlo Rally}.

Thanks,

Carl B.

No Carl , carnet nr can not be transfer to other cars , its a temporary export permit , normally for a year , the canets ar specific for a car , and details as Chassis nr , type , ectr are written on the carnet ,

These carnets as I say are valid for a year , and within this year the goods on the carnet , in this case cars , have to be shipped back to where they come from , to clear the carnet .The japanese did this to avoid local taxes .

Or , if they stay in a a other country , they have to pay local taxes , as import tax , Vat , ectr. In case of the 1971 Monte cars it was probably cheaper to leave them just in Europe .

Carl #7996 is the only works car , and after research we found out its the TKS33 SA 985 the #62 car in the 1971 Monte ,

The others are just early cars in my Garage

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not intruding in a middle of a topic with my next question. By the way I love your cars what great detail, and passion you put into them. I hope mine will look at least half as good as yours.

My question is about the Dunlop Racing tires, I love them and would like a set for my car were they NOS? On your website, the sticker on the tire looks new, I've seen very few tires new with a sticker in as good of shape as on the tire. This made me think their might be a resource for these tires. I might be hoping too much, but it does not hurt to ask.

I hope I'm not intruding in a middle of a topic with my next question. By the way I love your cars what great detail, and passion you put into them. I hope mine will look at least half as good as yours.

My question is about the Dunlop Racing tires, I love them and would like a set for my car were they NOS? On your website, the sticker on the tire looks new, I've seen very few tires new with a sticker in as good of shape as on the tire. This made me think their might be a resource for these tires. I might be hoping too much, but it does not hurt to ask.

In Europe they are still used for classic racing , the size you probably need for a 240z is 5.50-14 , i used them on a z as well .

Btw there is not much choice for 14" .

• 3 weeks later...
In Europe they are still used for classic racing , the size you probably need for a 240z is 5.50-14 , i used them on a z as well .

Btw there is not much choice for 14" .

I know that is why I ask the tires sold in the US just don't look right, I want that classic look I'll see what I can get. I'll just haft to be careful with the cops if they are not DOT rated.

Another thing I wanted to ask about is the plastic film you used to protect the car what brand and type is it? I've been having a hard time finding something like that for when I put my car back together.

I know that is why I ask the tires sold in the US just don't look right, I want that classic look I'll see what I can get. I'll just haft to be careful with the cops if they are not DOT rated.

Another thing I wanted to ask about is the plastic film you used to protect the car what brand and type is it? I've been having a hard time finding something like that for when I put my car back together.

in perod they used 4.75-10.00-14 Dunlop racings or 215/70-14 road/rally tyres ,

the tape ypu ask for is used on helicopter blades andprotect them for damage , I have it in my shop but i have to look for brand , i sure it comes from the states,

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I am sorry I did not reply for those nice inputs.

Thank you Koalia , z-spec , those are wonderful story.

ajmcforester,my Z432's Dunlop is still available like Michelin XWX.It is a bit expensive for 14inch wheel,but I really like the looks.

You can buy it from U.K. via internet.I got them in Japan ,Dunlop Japan is selling them(I think shipped from U.K.)

kats