IGNORED

my version of twice pipes

madkaw

Well it's not done yet ,but the hard part is done ,I hope. I need to make a final decision on mufflers or just glasspacks.And the decision on tips-that's going to be tough. I can't wait to hear it run.

post-7622-14150800124088_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150800124639_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150800125187_thumb.jpg

I plan on putting a flange on the mufflers right now ,but still thinking about that. As it is, the whole set up just slides off the header in one piece.I would hope that after disconnecting my mufflers i will be able to drop the exhaust down in a complete assembly since the pipes do not run over anything.

Nice job! Maybe a flange coming off the header pipes would be a good idea. They won't just slide off that easily after a while, especially if they are clamped. You could still drop it in one piece easy enough since you have good support at the halfway point, at the X-crossover. For transmission removal you would be able to undo it at the flange and swing it over and out of the way enough without dropping it completely. Keep us posted on how you finish it up.

I plan on putting a flange on the mufflers right now ,but still thinking about that. As it is, the whole set up just slides off the header in one piece.I would hope that after disconnecting my mufflers i will be able to drop the exhaust down in a complete assembly since the pipes do not run over anything.

I used stainless steel band clamps from Summit Racing The work great and allow you to take it apart when needed.

Marty

post-874-14150800128983_thumb.jpg

So Marty,

those clamps sqeeze the pipe over a larger area so you don't crimp the pipe?That would be sweeet and improve my chance of pulling the pipes off in one piece. I've seen those clamps before but have no experience with them.

Madkaw

I have pretty much the same headers as you, and the clamps that Marty posted are the ones I plan to use when I get around to installing my headers. I feel they will make for a cleaner install.

I like how you did the system. for me a pair of supertraps coming out where the BRE's did in the center would look kinda cool..

I've been checking out these clamps at summit and Jegs. I guess they have 2 types-one a lap type and the other a butt type. I'll have to figure out how they size the lap type to install my pipes to the header. I am using the sleeves from the collector MSA provided that slide over the header.

The butt type will be nice for in the back for seperating the exhaust system in 2 pieces. I'm glad you guys brought this up about the clamps.

How about some tips on glasspacks. I was wondering how the exhaust tone changes with the length of a glasspack. I will be able to fit from 12" to 18" glasspacks .I assume the longer the can ,the quieter the sound??? How much affect does the tip have on the sound???