IGNORED

Suspension and Steering upgrade

Ramses

I have done my research and I have a couple of questions.

1. If I am replacing my springs, shocks and struts should I replace all my bushings and serviceable u-joints as well? (basically - the same old while its open, might as well replace)

2. I would like to purchase a complete set of struts and springs, but I am confused about the setup of after-market sets. I do not want to lower my car by 1 to 1.5 inches. I have larger tires on the car and there is only a 2 to 3 inch gap from the top of the tire to the fender. Passenger side rear tire hits fender when at high speed and there is bump in road. It sounds like the tokico setup is ok, but I do not want to lower my car. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

You can purchase stock or Euro springs from Courtesy Nissan. I have new stock springs and KYB shocks. Euro springs lower your care about 1/2". I also replaced some bushings with urethane, and added a Suspension Techniques sway bar kit. It's plenty stiff for me. I just wanted a road car with less sway. If you're going to do all this you might as well take it all down, clean it up and paint it too. Replace u-joints if necessary.

In answer to Q1: -

Yes, I would replace any/all bushings with the polyurethane type.

[some people call it SQUEAKATHANE ROFL ]

If you use the sachet of lube that should come with the bushes, all should be sweet.

I suggest you fit a good quality 'bump stop kit' to the 4 struts as well.

Uni joints, if they are older than your knowledge of the car then, highly likely.

Try them all out for wear using a long flat bladed screwdriver, wriggling them every which way.

They have probably done a lot of work over the years.

Q2: -

Not sure why you want to replace the struts, do you mean the whole caboose or just the damper insert?

If you could afford it I would recommend going to a set of coil overs with variable height adjustment.

That way you can balance the weight distribution at the 4 corners and still retain the ride height you prefer.

If you do mean to change the entire strut assembly, there must be some delightful brake upgrades available to you:D

BTW, if your tyres are rubbing under compression, perhaps the wheel offset is not correct?

You should still be able to use your large tyres and avoid bodily contact.

You don't need to remove ANY bushings to get springs and strut inserts replaced. That said, if you're doing the springs and struts it's probably because you want the car to handle better, so you can opt to do the bushings at the same time if you're not the kind of guy who likes to keep tearing the suspension apart over and over. U-joints have nothing to do with the rest of this project, so while its a good idea to check them for wear and replace when necessary, if it isn't necessary then you're wasting money IMO.

I was a bit confused by your comment about larger tires. A lot of guys want to get the car lower than 1.5 inches so that the gap is minimized in the fenderwells. That's really not a good idea because what you end up with is a car that drives around on the bumpstops, unless you go with coilovers and sectioned struts. If you don't want to lower the car then I'd suggest something other than the Tokico springs. Maybe the Arizona Z Car springs with Tokico inserts or something like that. As Nissanman says, the tires shouldn't rub through the whole range of the suspension motion. If they do then you likely have the wrong offset wheels, or just tires that are too large for the wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

HELLO GENTS. all this information is good stuff, specially for me who just recently bought a 73 240Z and in definite need of a suspension upgrade. I was shopping arround for new Struts and one of the guys were saying that KYB was a good set. I had KYB's before on my honda and i thought they were a little too soft. but for the price i couldnt beat it. Can anyone shed some light on this? i know I have to replace all the bushings already, I just want that nice stiff and comfortable ride also... thanks

You can purchase stock or Euro springs from Courtesy Nissan. I have new stock springs and KYB shocks. Euro springs lower your care about 1/2". I also replaced some bushings with urethane, and added a Suspension Techniques sway bar kit. It's plenty stiff for me. I just wanted a road car with less sway. If you're going to do all this you might as well take it all down, clean it up and paint it too. Replace u-joints if necessary.

My car sat an inch taller with euro springs and kyb strut inserts. Not shorter. There are three sets of these springs in the Northwest and we all have either cut them down or took them back out. The ride is much better per the other owners but, I will have to wait and see on this one.

Thanks for bumping this again. I was thinking about the KYB struts and the Eibach springs from MSA. Much cheaper than the Euro-springs from Courtesy. The reason I need to replace the struts and springs is because my passenger rear bottoms out and rides about 1.5" lower than the drivers side. With me being a fat*&S you would think that the opposite would be the case.

I also need to replace the end links, which may be in the bushing kit that I will buy next week, ball joints and the entire rack. Anyone know someone that rebuilds manual racks cheaper than MSA?

Thanks again

I also need to replace the end links, which may be in the bushing kit that I will buy next week, ball joints and the entire rack. Anyone know someone that rebuilds manual racks cheaper than MSA?

Here's an unused rebuild from MSA on eBay with all the trimmings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290106174526

Also, the complete Energy Suspension bushing kit I bought from Summit came with only the front end links. I had to order some for the rear seperately. I bought them from www.suspension.com.

Thanks for the link to Suspension.com I was afraid that I was not going to have to piece the front end rebuild as well. I am not sure if I should go with the rebuild or purchase a new rack. I know they are not interchangeable, but the experience is worth every bit of money savings on rebuilding the rack myself. I knew there was a reason that I liked this site. Thanks again.