IGNORED

Wiper boots dry out Fast

TomoHawk

Unfortunately, it sounds like you scored some "not so new, very old stock":angry:

I would try again, this time get some repro. items from one of the vendors, or Nissan if they are available.

That way they will at least be new items and new technology if it applies.

I give those little fellas a good massage of rubber conditioner to keep them like new.

I give those little fellas a good massage of rubber conditioner to keep them like new.
That must be messy thing, unless you clean out all the old grease first ( You need to coat them inside with grease before putting them on, so they will slide.

That may be part of your problem.

Grease + Rubber = Rotten Rubber

Depending on the type of rubber and the type of grease.

Ever heard of NOT using Vaseline on Rubber? That's because the petroleum jelly will attack the rubber and cause it to age/decompose/dissolve/bloat/rot in no time at all. Try it and see.

E

just remember that most rubber can be petrolium based. And when you put a petro product on it, it breaks it down and tries to blend with it.

You should'nt need ANY lube to install those and if you MUST apply something, USE WINDOW CLEANER!! It has a soapy, slick surface and evaporates when your done. Kinda like when apply window stickers or Vinyl graphics..

JM2CW,

Dave.

I personally like spray silicon, stuff works very well, it's clear and doesn't affect paint-so overspray isn't a problem, repels water (great for door locks), and makes the radio antenna slide up and down much smoother than before, all without any sort of greasy, oily residue.

Perhaps a reasonably liberal amount sprayed onto the boot, or the wiper assy. would help. FWIW

I was using a G.P. wheel bearing gease with teflon. I could switch to a lithium grease, and I even have a special grease made from Olive oil (Italian stuff used on very nice racing bikes, like mine :) )

thx

Use dish washing liquid , it's just as slick as grease and will not harm the rubber. Gary

I personally like spray silicon, stuff works very well, it's clear and doesn't affect paint-so overspray isn't a problem, repels water (great for door locks), and makes the radio antenna slide up and down much smoother than before, all without any sort of greasy, oily residue.

Perhaps a reasonably liberal amount sprayed onto the boot, or the wiper assy. would help. FWIW

Hope you never have to repaint your car. Silcon and paint do not mix.

Use dish washing liquid , it's just as slick as grease and will not harm the rubber. Gary
Doesn't it wash off eventually? You'd have to re- apply the stuff depending on the weather.

I read that lanolin is good for preserving rubber parts, so I think a skin lotion with lanolin in it work about as well.

thx

Doesn't it wash off eventually? You'd have to re- apply the stuff depending on the weather.

I read that lanolin is good for preserving rubber parts, so I think a skin lotion with lanolin in it work about as well.

thx

That's why I'd use Sil-Glide. Won't wash off, won't melt, won't hurt rubber. Why mess around with trying to adapt some household product when specialized automotive products already exist? Skin lotions??