IGNORED

Spring & Strut Packages

lonetreesteve

i finally got thru to the EBay seller today, and was given the number to reach Tokico direct so that they could deal with the problem. talking with Ray at the tech department, he assured me that i had the correct struts,after giving him the numbers directly off of the cartridge. but my mechanic that is installing them, still has a problem with the rear struts being too short. we didn't have the correct gland nut to attach it to the strut tower, so Ray @ Tokico is shipping a pair out next day air. you can't ask for any more than that. when setting the strut in the tower, and taking the gland nuts that came with the kit and setting them at the bottom of the threads, there is still about an inch or two of play, so i am still not sure about this. maybe the larger gland nuts that actually fit my strut towers are made different so that they will go farther down and against the top of the gas cartridge. i can see where my mechanic has a problem with this, as the first time i hit a good bump the cartridge will be rattling around in the strut tower.

The rear struts for a 240Z or early 260Z should come with a 2" spacer on them. Rears for the late 260 and 280Z should have a 3" spacer on them. Sounds like you have the wrong spacer. Just measure it and call Tokico and they should be able to send out the correct length.

The rear struts for a 240Z or early 260Z should come with a 2" spacer on them. Rears for the late 260 and 280Z should have a 3" spacer on them. Sounds like you have the wrong spacer. Just measure it and call Tokico and they should be able to send out the correct length.

as i stated in my last post, i was on the phone with the tech department of tokico. talking with Ray, he assured me that i had the correct struts for my year and make. the manufacture date of my 260 2+2 is 2/74. i wonder if this being a 2+2 model that they went with larger strut towers for the extra weight in the back. i even asked if a longer spacer was available and he replied that what i had was the longest they offered. the Datsun numbers on my strut towers are 55303N3700 and 55302N3700, could anyone maybe check their 280 and see if these are the same as yours? also, the rear strut towers were a larger diameter than the fronts. when trying to use the gland nuts packed with the kits, the nuts didn't even touch the threads of the tube.

thanks for the info.

I think they SHOULD HAVE had the long spacers. You can measure the spacer to find out for sure. Just because you got the right part number doesn't mean you got the right part, unfortunately.

i agree with you, i do need the longer spacers. Ray @ tokico says that my rear struts with the 2" spacers are the correct ones,according to my year model z. and again, i ask would it be possible that i have the LATER model rear strut towers on my z?????? i don't have any history of the car, and i doubt that the previous owner swapped those out, but,,,,,,,maybe Datsun went to the later model parts for those going to the 2+2 model???????

sleepyzzz - All reference to kit #HPK251 states 240Z 70 -73. The Ebay seller is just selling them ( and also claiming they are for 70 - 74 1/2). He then directs complaint to Tokico. Tokico is using the same part numbers for different springs as well. Someone should point out the many problems our members have had, to Tokico. All because they do not supply adequate information to the end user. I believe they justify using the same part numbers because the kits are intended to be used together. On the other hand, individual pieces with the same part numbers as the pieces in the kit, are different parts. Confusing for sure. The Ebay seller is misrepresenting the HPK251 kit.