IGNORED

Z lust/4 kids/Long Drive to work

ArnieTX

How does a man get his Datsun Z car fix and still get his kids to school?

2+2!

As a previous 2 seater owner( I was single and that was >15 years ago), I am lusting over all these beautiful Zs I'm seeing and I'm trying to figure out how to get one as soon as possible. (Wife thinks I'm nuts)

I currently drive a grannymobile (94 buick bought from Granny) because I drive 120 miles roundtrip each day and I hate to own anything "new" and put that many miles on it. It works but is not fun to drive. Z=fun Z=fun LOL

Aha! The answer suddenly came to me. If I buy a Datsun 280Z 2+2, I can sorta of fulfill the need AND still get my 4 and 6 year old to school. Now, a 2+2 is not my favorite Datsun BUT, it beats the hell out of the grannymobile in style points and I can spend 2 hours everyday soaking up the Datsun smell and dreaming of the 2 seater I will eventually purchase to drive on weekends and during the summer. The 2+2 will give me at least some of the Datsun FIX I so badly need.

For you current 2+2 owners, don't get me wrong. I am in no way trying to say that the 2+2 is inferior or bad in anyway. It's just not my dream Z:love: . However, in my situation, it sure looks good right now though:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So, to any of you 2+2 owners or folks who have driven one, would it make a good daily driver kid hauler for a budget concious Dad? Would you rather have a Datsun 280Z 2+2 or a BUICK? LOL

What would you do?

Vote choice 1 -- Sell the Buick and buy a 2+2. Get the wife used to it and corrupt the kiddos into thinking the Z is the best car in the world(My boys are easily influenced by their ol Man).Then ... Buy a 2 seater down the road for weekends and summer driving.

or

Vote choice 2 -- Keep the grannymobile(BOOOOOO) , save my money and buy a sweet 2 seater I can only drive on weekends and summers when the kids are off.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Choice 1.

Go for the 2+2 now if not yesterday. It may not be as good in the handling department but it is a great ride and will be good for your soul. I think that a case might be made for the 2+2 to be a better tourer but that is only a personal opinion.

* It will suit your needs for the moment - at least until the kids get bigger.

* You will get the immediate Datsun experience.

* You can start to accumulate those good bits that are interchangeable between the two different S30's.

* Depending upon your timing and other circumstances you may eventually end up using the 2+2 as a parts car

* It will serve to get your infinitely bvetter half introduced or used to the idea that you entitled to own and enjoy at least one toy.

Good luck!

Arnie, when my kids were small and I faced that question, I just bought a Dodge minivan, and kept the old 240Z. Later I bought a nice used "4 Door Sports Car" ie. a 1989 Maxima - sporty, fun, and 4 doors! That car just hit 200,000 miles (the minivan also just hit 200,000 miles). Those 3rd generation Maximas were/are great for sporty driving with a lot of room for family.

A couple of years ago I gave the Maxima to my son, and bought a '93 300ZX 2+2 for my daily driver/commute car. Frankly I think those things are a steal. But the doors on a 300ZX 2+2 are awfully big and heavy. Don't think it would be much fun for moving kids in and out frequently. The 280Z 2+2 doors may be much better for that.

The real answer is.... whatever your wife wants!

--Bob

The wife thinks I am nuts anyway. Datsun or not.

She likes what she drives(4wd Excursion) and I always end up driving a beater because of my commute.

Life is short. I have been wanting another Datsun for a long time. I looked at the 90's 300zxs and it appears the maintainanace is pretty high if you drive a lot.

I haven't ruled out a nice 84-85 300zx or 280zx in 2+2. I really want a Z though so the search is on. I know the L28 is reliable and easy to work on. And, the parts car thing down the road makes sense.

Anyone around San Antonio knows of any please holler.

ArneTX - I resolved a similar issue by buying a 280ZXT 2+2 (no 260Z or 280Z 2+2s w/o rust in this area). The 240Z with two seats could not carry our family of 3 so it was either left in the garage or 2 cars were driven. When my wife remarked that she wasn't happy following behind my son and I in the Z all the time, my answer was the 2+2. This has worked great for the last 4 years. I also agree with Jayhawk regarding the 95-03 Maxima. I have had 2 (95 and 98) Maximas and when the '00 Altima SE needs replacing I'll be looking at Maximas again....SE 6 speed of course (I always considered them "Four door Zeds"). The Minivan sits in the garage the most of all the cars...

GWGarrard

Since you drive 120 miles/day I think you should consider getting something cheap that gets good mileage like a used Honda Civic. My personal opinion is that an S30 is not the safest car to be hauling kids around in. You can certainly still get a 2 seater or 2+2 but I wouldn't use that as my only transportation. I hope your wife doesn't have a long commute at about 6mpg.

Since the wife stays at home with the 2yo and infant, I take the 4 and 6 year old to school. It's on my way to work. Drop off #1 is 3 miles down the HWY and drop off #2 is 9 past that. Wife picks them up.

My commute is 100% hwy fro 60 miles and then 2 stp lights after I exit. With a 5 speed 2+2 I would guess my mileage wouldn't be too bad at hwy speeds. The Grannymobile gets consistant 26MPG.

I want to enjoy and take some pride in what I drive. The driving experience in the Buick is like watching paint dry. If I'm always going to be driving used cars for a long commute (<$3000), I might as well get something I want and will care about.

I bought and sold two motorcycles last year. Started out with an enduro off/on road type. Had fun but decided to commute to work so I sold it and bought a BMW K75. After commuting and seeing all the wackjobs driving around I decided to sell it and buy a boat. My wife thinks I'll get the Z and soon tire of it. She doesn't understand the love I have for those cars. She doesn't know this but the plan is to buy myself 3 or 4 over next few years and fix them up for my 3 boys. I have to break her in slow. :)

Find a 2+2 and get her used to it.

What happens when the 2yo starts school? Will you be driving Him/Her too? I've never paid any attention to the 2+2, but I assume the back seat is indeed for 2 not 3, otherwise it would be a 2+3. So I'm thinking the 2+2 won't work for long.

I vote for option #3... Used Maxima. Outstanding car, as sporty as a 4dr can be, rock solid reliability and a full decade or two of safety innovations ahead of the 280... gotta think of your most precious cargo :cheeky:

Nate

Well what is wrong with just sticking with a 2+2? Why the need for a 2 seater coupe so badly? I think that if you got a faster motor in there (L28 Turbo, SR, RB, or a V8) and some tight suspension, it would be just as good if not better then a normal 2 seater Z.

A 2+2 T-Top 280zx myself as always been my true favorite Z car. Thats a car that I want to get an L28 with a Turbo in there and start tricking out the motor. Its way more practical as I would love to have a daily driver Z that is also an awesome weekend car, and I could take it out on some short road trips to competitions and car shows with a buddy in the back seat.

I ended up getting a 240z as it was cheap at the time, and nothing else was available. I am still in love with the car, but I hope to one day still get a 280zx 2+2 t-top.

Plus you can always end up with 2 Z cars that way. Get the 2+2 now for the daily driver, then get a normal 2 seater later on. Its a win win situation. :-)