IGNORED

Ball joints to control arm problem

62vette

This is one reason that for parts like this, I never buy mail order or over the Internet. If I buy them locally, I can can take them back and show them in person what's wrong. Or better, I can take the old ones with me when I pick them up and compare them before I ever pay for them.

Some stuff it's better to buy locally.

I agree with Arne and always take the old parts with me. With build dates of 6/70 and earlier the ball joints are no longer available. You get to change the steering knuckles as well.

Do these look familiar to anyone?

I mean does anyone have a similar pair mounted to the control arms?

Kenny, another company I have doen business with in the past (to satisfaction) has these for sale. They say they are Mcquay-Norris ball-joints, but they are different to the Mcquay-Norris ball-joints you have pictured in the thread you posted.

Do you know if Mcquay-Norris makes different styles?

Thanks for all the help and replies so far!

I'm not sure if Mcquay-Norris makes different styles for the 240Z or not. If you are still looking at getting the ball joints via mail order you are in for another round of trial and error. You may consider asking the company if they will reimburse you for the purchase price of the ball joints and the cost of shipping if they do not fit.

Keep us posted on how things work out!

Talked to the local Nissan dealer today, the can get me new ball-joints. But they are not on stock in Europe so they have to be ordered from Nissan in Japan. And, now for the nice part..... they go for US$ 204.- a piece.... :finger:

Uh oh. Henk, does that mean the pair I got for my 71 won't fit as well???

AAAARRRGGGG. Even with my tax refund I cannot swing $408!!!! DAMN.

Hi Mat. Nice avatar, Mercury Cougar? :)

There is a big chance yours won't fit as well.... The mounting holes are off a mm or so. And we shouldn't be messing with the control arms to make them fit... Too bad for the US$ 35 we spent on them... :mad:

I will contact you on wat to do next.

BTW, the price I mentioned are the prices my dealer asks. And I know by now buying them in the US, at RockAuto for example, will save me a bundle.

I will get back to you about this as well.

Hi Mat. Nice avatar, Mercury Cougar? :) ...snip...

NOPE!!! ROFL When I was a kid, I watched a cartoon called Thundercats. Kinda like a lion/human version of GI Joe. I found the avatar for the show and decided to abscond with it.

There is a big chance yours won't fit as well.... The mounting holes are off a mm or so. And we shouldn't be messing with the control arms to make them fit... Too bad for the US$ 35 we spent on them... :mad:

I will contact you on wat to do next.

BTW, the price I mentioned are the prices my dealer asks. And I know by now buying them in the US, at RockAuto for example, will save me a bundle.

I will get back to you about this as well.

Please let me know!!!

I have almost the same shape. mine are 555's they fit like originals..

I'm not sure about the dimensions between the holes you have on those ball joints.. but you can compare them with the previous ones

and why not buying from MSA or Blackdragonauto? arn'e they available there?