IGNORED

Ball joints to control arm problem

62vette

A few months ago I got me a new set of 'made in Germany' ball-joints on Ebay as part of my front-end 'project'.

At last I came around to fitting the ball-joints to the control arms today, but to my surprise the mounting holes do not allign with those on the control arm. The are a few millimeters of.

What do I do now, throw the Ebay parts away and get me a proper set from the dealer or do I grind the lower metal housing until the holes line up? :stupid:

Thanks.

I made the error of buying ball joints off EBay as well...one didn't fit also. Went down to NAPA and got a pair with little trouble. A bit more expensive, but at least the holes were in the right spot!

I see you're in the Netherlands...Not sure what parts companies you have there, so I would try a Nissan dealer first. Good luck!

Me personally, I give my Z nothing but Factory Parts. I did both Tie Rod Ends along with my Ball Joints last summer on my Z. I bought them all at Courtesy Nissan.

"BTW, is this a known problem with non-original Nissan parts?" I've heard many stories of other Z'ers that have ran into the same problem with the holes not lining up with aftermarket Ball Joints, so I'm going to say Yes. However there are a few people like Mark for example that didn't have any fitting issues with aftermarket.

My suggestion is get a set of factory Ball Joints but thats me :) If you feel like you still want to stick with an aftermarket brand, then go with the brands listed by the members above that you know will Fit correctly.

Best of luck,

This is one reason that for parts like this, I never buy mail order or over the Internet. If I buy them locally, I can can take them back and show them in person what's wrong. Or better, I can take the old ones with me when I pick them up and compare them before I ever pay for them.

Some stuff it's better to buy locally.

This is one reason that for parts like this, I never buy mail order or over the Internet. If I buy them locally, I can can take them back and show them in person what's wrong. Or better, I can take the old ones with me when I pick them up and compare them before I ever pay for them.

Some stuff it's better to buy locally.

Sounds like good advice Arne.

I ordered mine over the internet and had them shipped to me from Courtesy Nissan and had no problems. They sent me the correct factory part # Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends for my Z but again, thats the advantage of going factory. Not that it can't happen, but your chances of getting the wrong part from a dealer is less likely to happen. Especially if you have your own parts CD with the part #'s :D Ordering aftermarket parts over the computer, now thats a different story.