IGNORED

Early Shift Boots

Mckrack

Marty, the boot on the left in post #22 is very familiar looking to me - but not from either of my Datsuns. I THINK it might be the original boot from a late '80s or early '90's VW Jetta. I believe that it is the same as the one that came on my wife's '91 GLI 16v when we bought it new. I can't swear to that, not because the car is gone (we still have it), but the original boot is history. That's certainly what your picture reminds me of, even the stitching.

Thanks Arne. Unless someone with knowledge on the very early cars chimes in, I guess we can take that one out of the equation.

LBO730, I'll shoot you a PM to get your shipping address.

Marty

Yes, Marty. 26th, 27th, and 403rd have the rubber grommet type. Part number 75150-E4101. Part number 75150-E8700 replaces the early type and no date is given because it can be used for all models. According to pictures in my Japanese parts books, the early type of shift boot with the rubber grommet coresponds to the console design with the early style ash tray. Consoles with the sliding cover ash tray were designed for the lace type (E8700).

According to pictures in my Japanese parts books, the early type of shift boot with the rubber grommet coresponds to the console design with the early style ash tray. Consoles with the sliding cover ash tray were designed for the lace type (E8700).

I believe this to be accurate. My 5/71 car has the early boot.

Yes, Marty. 26th, 27th, and 403rd have the rubber grommet type. Part number 75150-E4101. Part number 75150-E8700 replaces the early type and no date is given because it can be used for all models. According to pictures in my Japanese parts books, the early type of shift boot with the rubber grommet coresponds to the console design with the early style ash tray. Consoles with the sliding cover ash tray were designed for the lace type (E8700).

Great! Thanks for confirming that Chris. I guess we can move full speed ahead on trying to reproduce the grommet type boot.

If anyone has a spare grommet or two, let me know, as I will need two of them.

Marty

If you guys want I will track this thread and get an accurate count of how many interested parties we have in the grommet style boot (with or without grommet and grommets alone) and anyone interested can chime in with their needs. We can bump this thread to the top or start a new one set up for this purpose.

I too am interested in the old style boot to go in my 6/70. I would like a pair of them at a fair price. I was looking through the Black Dragon catalog and noticed a gear shift boot under Interior consoles P/N 59-116 that looks like maybe an upper grommet.

My boot came out in pieces but, looked like the one Marty posted in #22 with the rubber seal stuck to the lever well at least parts of it.

I too am interested in the old style boot to go in my 6/70. I would like a pair of them at a fair price. I was looking through the Black Dragon catalog and noticed a gear shift boot under Interior consoles P/N 59-116 that looks like maybe an upper grommet.

My boot came out in pieces but, looked like the one Marty posted in #22 with the rubber seal stuck to the lever well at least parts of it.

Hey Jim,

I just took a peek in my Black Dragon catalog, and part number 59-116 is grouped with 1979 to 1983 280ZX Shift Boot parts (59-116 being described as "gear shift lever boot"). I don't think that's gonna help us out for the early boot grommet.

Gary S.

Hey Jim,

I just took a peek in my Black Dragon catalog, and part number 59-116 is grouped with 1979 to 1983 280ZX Shift Boot parts (59-116 being described as "gear shift lever boot"). I don't think that's gonna help us out for the early boot grommet.

Gary S.

It is also shown as item #5 on the early cars on the page 27 of the Z.50 catalog.

It is also shown as item #5 on the early cars on the page 27 of the Z.50 catalog.

Okay Jim, yes, I hadn't seen that. If that is the grommet, it seems odd to me that they would offer the grommet for the 240Z, and not offer it as part of the whole shift boot. It also seems odd that it is offered as a part for the 280ZX in the adjacent window. Also, the way the diagram is laid out, it appears to go under the inner rubber boot. Here's a link to page 27 of the current Black Dragon online catalog (59-116 as item #5 for 240Z's, 59-116 as item #3 for 280ZX's):

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/0027.html

Gary S.

Okay Jim, yes, I hadn't seen that. If that is the grommet, it seems odd to me that they would offer the grommet for the 240Z, and not offer it as part of the whole shift boot. It also seems odd that it is offered as a part for the 280ZX in the adjacent window. Also, the way the diagram is laid out, it appears to go under the inner rubber boot. Here's a link to page 27 of the current Black Dragon online catalog (59-116 as item #5 for 240Z's, 59-116 as item #3 for 280ZX's):

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/0027.html

Gary S.

I think the part you are describing is the boot that goes over the shift lever where the lever is mounted to the trans at the pivot point.

the grommet that we are all looking for it attached to the top of the vinyl shift boot, in the interior of the car.

Marty

• 3 weeks later...

I was just thinking about the grommet situation while scanning EBay. I saw an auction for an A/C grommet and wonder if that or another grommet on the car would be a suitable substitute. It's hard to judge the size of the grommet on the EBay ad though. We need to find a source for the one pictured in arne's car. Hope you don't mind that I re-posted your picture Arne.

By the way, I mailed an old early shift boot off to LBO730 to copy the pattern a couple of weeks ago. I will post pictures when I get one back.

Marty