IGNORED

Early Shift Boots

Mckrack

Apologies first. I have not yet gotten around to pulling the console out to clean yet, so I'm embarrassed to post these pictures that still show the previous owners' dirt.

That said, I can't speak for the possibility that later boots were different, although the one on eBay and Kat's does seem to confirm that. Because the original still on my car looks very much like the pictures of the one that Bryan made, both in cut and stitching, and also in the grain of the material.

Hi Marty:

Agreed - the first prototype is pretty nice, but I believe with a few minor changes it could be better.

Looking at the pictures from Kats and the NOS one on E-Bay.. it looks like the repop's grain pattern is somewhat off the mark, there is no rubber grommet supplied, and the stitching at the top goes too far up. The OEM product has little tucks at the very top... most likely to put less strain on the stitching..

Perhaps a small order of the proper size grommets from Badgerrubber.net. (if you supplied them with the complete spec.'s they might have the exact thing)... and a second prototype stitched up to look a little more like the OEM part would work some of this out.. and result in an even finer reproduction.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

The Sample that I supplied came out of a 1/71 one owner car. I believe it to be an original part.

If you look closely, the repro does have the tucks at the top. It is not sewn all the way up. I think Bryan did an excellent job of copying the pattern. If you look at the pictures in my post, you will see a swatch of the original fabric on it, and next to it. It is pretty darn close in my book. It will never be "exactly the same", unless you got material from the original manfactures stock, and the lot it was cut from. No, there is no grommet, because I never had one on my car to give. I am still looking for 2 of them if you have some lying around, (hint, hint, LOL!). If you are lucky enough to have your original grommet, you can just re-use it. So far we have not found a suitable source for that piece.

Everyone has to make their own decisions on what they will put on their car. For me, I am very satisfied with the outcome on this piece.

My 2 cents.

Marty

Great looking boot, Bryan! Just got mine yesterday.

Now, where are we on the replacement grommet (I don't have one!) :ermm:

Thanks,

Stephen

Got mine a couple of days ago, and just had a chance to open it last night. Looks nice! I have nothing to compare it to, but from the pics on this thread, it looks very close to perfect. :). I, too, now need a grommet to make it work, though. Seems like a lot of us are in that boat...

MIne arrived while I was out of town last week. It looks to be indistinguishable from the original now in my car. I plan to pull the console today, clean everything up and install it. I will post pictures later showing the two side by side.

But from what I see here now, I'm VERY pleased with it.

Here's the pictures and my impression after installing the new boot.

First, I'm going to say right here that it is NOT a perfect reproduction. The workmanship on Bryan's reproduction is MUCH better workmanship than my original. And the fabric backing of the material is dark gray rather than the original white.

This reproduction is incredibly beautiful. It fits great, and looks "right" in the car. I'm thrilled with the result, it was well worth the extremely modest cost.

Edited by Arne

My Z was made in the last month of production for 71's (maybe it was Sep), anyway, it had the original vinyl boot but was torn and old. I replaced it with the later laced boot because Nissan only sold that one (circa 1993). It would be great to have an original.