IGNORED

240Z Combo and T/S switch repair Service

Zs-ondabrain

Dave,

Congrats on have such a nice electrical system. Unfortunately, Most of us have to deal with the (Previous Owner) problem. Every Z is different and weather conditions and the treatment of those Z's vary by each owner. Not everyone has a garage or the upkeep knowledge that is now available to us.

As for your heater fuse, if your wiring is in good shape, then you should have no problem with a 25 amp fuse instead of the 20. But those of us with weak systems, that have been used on a daily basis in bad weather Year round, (I live in the northwest where rain, wind and cloudy days are of the norm) don't have the pleasure that you enjoy yearly.

We don't hate you for this, but it does'nt make our lives any easier. But thats what each of us is here for. Most of wiring in our systems can be used with higher amperage fuses but I would'nt suggest it.

If I had the metal contact plates in front of me, I could give a better assesment of the peice. I ussually just reform, smooth out, sand, file or what ever the situation calls for. But being as how no one has sent me a switch for repair yet, I cannot give an acurate assesment yet.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Just got my spare combo and turn signal switches for my daily driver 280Z back from Dave, wanted to put my note of "thank you very much for a fine job" in. Parts look better than new, and I will play with them tomorrow to see the improvement in operation.

I must commend you on the excellent customer service, attention to detail and a through report on what the finished results were.

I will be sending the switches that is currently installed on my 280Z shortly. Thanks for a speedy turn-around and excellent workmanship.

Wayne

You are Quite welcome Wayne, Funny thing is that your 280Z switches are easier to service than the 240Z switches because 1) they are not as old as the 240Z models and 2) the 280Z switches are built with the idea of "future maintanence" in mind.

Hey Will,

Did ya ever find that box? Must be one hell of a storage unit or one big mess of a garage. I feel for ya, I can't find half of the stuff that I KNOW is in my garage......ROFL

.... 280Z switches are easier to service than the 240Z switches because 1) they are not as old as the 240Z models and 2) the 280Z switches are built with the idea of "future maintanence" in mind.

Sounds like you could be in the future business of making adapter harnesses for the 240's to use the 280's...... :surprised

Wayne

Me thinks he doth protest too much...Niet!

Wayne,

Yep, I found the box Monday night-probably eight sets from varying years-including a NOS set and a used JDM set!

I need to go through them for photographiong for the parts variation thread(I know ther are at least four versions-two non USA-of the grip at the end of the turn signal lever)and send the used ones out for parts and two rebuilds(including the JDM one!), but I am planning another culling of the herd of parts cars in a couple of weeks, and will probably wait until I can send another eight to ten sets with them. and get three sets of 240Z and the JDM set redone.

I will also pull a bunch of harnesses (or connectors if the harnesses are already cobbled or cooked).

Will

Me and Wayne have been tooling around something on the side. I plan on starting up a complete engine harness set-up for the 240Z's but not before I do a lot of research on the subject.

From what I've heard. Brand new 240Z Engine Harness's are going from $550 and up to $750 - $800. I plan on borrowing a few harness's from 240Z owners can loan their engine harness out for a month or so, so I can measure copy, repair, rewrap etc. In exchange for me borrowing their harness. I will make them a headlight upgrade harness and return their harness rewrapped with an HLH in the same box. I figure that a $125 harness for letting borrow theirs isn't too back of a deal.

Once I have made all my measurements, acquired the 3-5 different styles for the 240Z, And done all my research on suppliers and wires, I'll start making BRAND NEW 240Z ENGINE HARNESS'S and sell them for about $450 each.

Let me know what you guys think and I will take ALL comments into consideration. Nothing is set in stone yet but this is the way I normally do things, as you all know. ANY VOLENTEERS?

Dave.

P.M. sent Dave. :classic:

I have all of the harnesses out right now, so if you want more than just the engine bay let me know. It's just a thought, but you could do an entire inventory of the wiring of the car while you are at it and see if you wanted to offer reproductions of the dash, and chassis/rear harness as well.

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

Dave,

I will be spending at least one full day-probably-two pulling parts at the farm. The plan is for this to happen during the week of March 12-16th depending on weather.

I will be completely stripping a several late '71-'73 240Z rust buckets, a '83ZXT and cutting out some patch panels.

So pulling the harness is in the plan, I kinda figured you might be headed to your announcement...

I will send you all of the engine harnesses, and label them as to vin and mfg date, and try to keep even the damaged ones intact for your research.

Ther is only one series one up there, and it has the harness I would like to get back.

I will PM you a list before sending all of it to you so I don't send things you don't need.

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Andrew,

Your switches and harness's are done and will be shipped out in about a half an hour. I put all the parts that I had to replace in a bag for your inspection.

You mentioned that your turn signal switch worked great but when I went to clean the Hi/Low beam switch contacts, the PC board crumbled in my hands. Looks like I got it just in time. No problem though, I had a spare one to replace it with. Every thing looks great and it's on it's way back home.

Thanks for your order and business,

Dave.