IGNORED

Ignition Problem

aerodyn

I recently replaced my keyed ignition switch as the old key (original) was so worn you could remove the key with the engine running. Since the replacement (and even before) a relay clicks but you have to try several times to get the starter to engage. Appears to be a relay problem. Any hints on what I should do?

thanx,

-C

I recently replaced my keyed ignition switch as the old key (original) was so worn you could remove the key with the engine running.

My 280z does the samething. In one way it can be kind of nice for me anyway because I can let it warm up in the driveway and not have to worry about anybody taking off and stealing it as I can take the key out of the ingnition and lock the doors. Then I just hop back in and stick the key in and go.LOL

Without a schematic diagram on hand I can tell you this. If the relay clicks, that means the control side of the relay is working. All that is needed then, is a good ground connection and power feed to the starter. First, check for voltage at the starter. If sufficient voltage is present and the connection is good, check your grounds. If this checks out OK, the issue is with the starter. The worn ignition switch was probably a separate problem. Good luck.

Since the replacement (and even before) a relay clicks but you have to try several times to get the starter to engage.

The relay should click. Are you saying the you didn't have to 'try several times' before you changed the switch? Is your replacement ignition switch new? Did you also change the plastic contact part on the back of the switch?

Ditto what Stephen said.

You mention that you replaced the Ignition Switch, but are you referring to the Ignition/Steering LOCK instead? The Switch is the electrical part on the BACK of the Ign./St. Lock.

From what you've written, and others who've had the same problem, I would check that Switch first. It may be that the bakelite portion of the lock has loosened over the years and has shifted enough that it makes enough contact for the relay to click but not enough to allow the Starter to power up.

It might also be asked if you're referring to the Accessory Relay clicking instead of the Starter Relay. The Acc. Relay is on the Passenger Kick Panel while the Starter Relay s in the engine compartment.

2¢

Enrique

• 1 month later...

where is tha starter relay cause i have the same problem with my car i went on a 2 hour drive to motorsports in orance county just to find out the part i was looking for was not in stock but they gave me a free used one and its the acc relay i guess cause it clicks but my starter wont crank or make any noise so i would greatly apreciate knowing where it is my z has gave me lots of trouble lately she's not showing me any love lately imalso waiting on a new starter since mine busted after i had it tested

My 280z does the samething. In one way it can be kind of nice for me anyway because I can let it warm up in the driveway and not have to worry about anybody taking off and stealing it as I can take the key out of the ingnition and lock the doors. Then I just hop back in and stick the key in and go.LOL

Not as secure as you think . Many of the Z keys will open your door. I know I have a few keys and have tried them on friends Z and they have on mine .

i changed the starter on mine and i have a yellow top optima battery but some how my wiring got all screwed up my car wont start and my lights wont work im just gonna give up ant take it to an electritian they will know whats wrong with it cause if i cant fix it im gonna have to put in a painless wiring kit from a chevy since thats the cheapest ones they make