Rearview Mirror Restoratiom - Page 2 - Technical Articles - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rearview Mirror Restoratiom

Featured Replies

  • Author

I would try warm water first, and then move on to more powerful solvents-don't forget, if you use something that messes with the silvering, You might call Jerry for his expertise as well! He has probably been there and done that!

Will

Bob,

I've refurbished a few sets where the actual mirrors were in good condition and didn't need replacing. If yours are like that, you really don't need to remove them for the refurbishing process.

However, I have several more sets where the mirrors are toast and I will need to replace them. Since they are a set, I plan to experiment with one side to see what works best and then use that method to safely remove the other side. I'll then take that piece to the glass company to have duplicates made.

I would try warm water first, and then move on to more powerful solvents-don't forget, if you use something that messes with the silvering, You might call Jerry for his expertise as well! He has probably been there and done that!

Will

Good thought Will, except he suggested I contact you.....

The sideview mirror glass is in good condition, but the silvering is showing it's age. I might have to do what Moonpup suggested--practice on one, and use that info to remove the other in one piece, take that to a glass shop to have 2 new mirrors made.

  • Author

They say great minds think a like-I guess this proves similar things happen lower in the scale!

Fortunately a replacement glass isn't hard to cut or to have made.

Will

Will , Great job on the posting. This is the kind of stuff that makes this a great web site . Thanks Gary

  • 4 years later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

thanks so much arne. i've wrote this down a long time ago. just couldn't find it.

  • 2 weeks later...

Good points, The only thing I'd recommend is try using a heat gun in a feathering motion till the plastic soften, sometimes this will reinvigorate the plastic so you don't need to paint.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.