IGNORED

Oddessey

JLPurcell

I have not posted since May. I just pulled the Z out of storage for the first time last week. Just in time to put it back in storage. I replaced the tubes from the float bowls to the carb. the others were collapsing making the car impossible to tune. I have been working on the restoration of my 72 Land Cruiser (see post) for the past year +. It is nearing completion. I either need to drive the Z or sell it, sitting is not good for it.  

Great thread and awesome restoration. I am curious to know whether or not the body colour paint was used in the wheels wells, or was it painted/coated black? I'm referring to factory condition, as I see this car is body colour...

It is my understanding from other threads that the wheel wells were body color but I don't care for seeing color around the wheels. So I primed mine then blacked them out...

The bottom and wheel wells were first primed then the under body coating (similar to Mercedes treatment) then painted the color of the car. I wanted the bottom well sealed but body color as it was from the factory.

• 1 year later...

Hello to all. Have not posted for a while. Finished the restoration of my Land Cruiser and took a promotion at work which has resulted in very little time for the Z. I pulled the gas tank tonight and was not pleased with what I found. I have been chasing a fuel / carb problem since getting the car back from restoration. When I sent the car out for restoration I sent out many NOS parts. The fuel tank was one of those NOS parts. I pulled the tank to see if there was a venting problem and found that the tank vents were not connected just plugged. I also found that the tank in the car is not the correct tank. I am really disappointed. The bottom line is, does anyone know when a NOS fuel tank can be found. 1972 Z production date of 9/72. Help!!!

7 minutes ago, AZ-240z said:

Jerry,

are you saying that the NOS tank you sent is not the tank

that was installed by the restoration shop?

I can't really say. Sent car out in 2006, picked up 2012, 4 years later I pull the tank and see it is not the correct part. I don't know if it got mixed up at the shop or what. I just can't imagine that I sent out the wrong part. I had put back the restoration parts back in the late 70's. I just know that I want to find the correct part now. I don't know if that will be possible. The correct part is #17201 E4600 that is what I have listed on my parts inventory that went out with the car. Thanks for your question. JLP

• 4 weeks later...

Started the process of disassembling the front end of the Z this evening, bumper off, wiper valance off, access doors off and grill out all bagged and tagged. In looking to align the front doors , hood, and fenders I found that the right strut tower is approximately .375" in. I don't know how this came about but I know that now that I know I have to fix it. I plan to disassemble the front and take it to a friend with a frame machine. There we plan to move the tower slightly. I hope this goes as planned. Once this is finished I have plans....... As you know if you have read this post I purchased the 72 new and it, from the showroom floor, had a few Datsun Competition parts; Sport Mirrors, Front Spook, American Racing Libre Wheels and the accessory 240Z side stripes. When restoring the car it was put back as purchased. Little did I know when I made that decision that the car would not be able to compete for a gold medallion, although that would not have changed my leaving the car as purchased. That being said I have decided to go the rest of the way with other period correct Datsun Competition parts that I purchased back in the 70's that I have had or currently still have. I would put these parts on the car when I would take it to the Bellefontaine, OH annual hill climb. The WOR (Western Ohio Region) SCCA Club would put this weekend event on, and it was a blast. I plan to put my Datsun Competition Racing suspension kit on it (dropping it 2") and am looking for another set of Datsun Competition MK63 four piston calipers for the front. I believe this will make the car a period correct blast to drive example.