IGNORED

KHGC110 240k GT

aarc240

The pic of the german magazine shows a picture of a standard manifold in my opinion, judging by how much shorter the intake runners are, when compared to the pic in the advertising brochure.

I have a pic of the UK 1974 240K GT sedan engine. I'll post at some stage.

Whats the part number for the Aussie GL intake manifold from the FSM?

Art, try not to compress the images so much when you upload them. it makes them unreadable.

The upload does some strange things !

The attached images should be better.

Nothing in the FSM in the way of part no's but you should have that from the parts book.

Interesting to note that Nissan used 'P' to specify the G18 engine in the 240K when they apparently stayed consistent in using 'P' to specify the S20 engine in the Skyline.

Just those two pages alone are a pretty clear indication that as far as Nissan was concerned the 240K may have shared the same basic body with the Skyline but that was all.

Codes are not even remotely related.

The G16 and G18 engines shown are unmistakably the old Prince four cylinder units!

Did the Skyline use those or L4 engines? I have no idea whether the Skyline even had 4 cylinders available.

An observation from a former Datsun dealer was that the second manifold could well be from the L20(a) Laurel engine. Apparently that used a different manifold again, possibly somewhere in between in configuration.

post-10015-14150798606814_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798607191_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798607401_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798607724_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798608009_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798608264_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798608561_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798608819_thumb.jpg

Must get myself a C110 Skyline Factory Service Manual. Then learn Japanese so I can read the dang thing.

It would be VERY interesting to thoroughly compare the specifications of the C110 Datsun 240K and the C110 Nissan Skyline.

Found a German 240K GT sedan article, but its in German.

http://www.datsun.de/html/body_testberichte.html

My German is very rusty so it will take some time to translate.

One thing I did notice on first scan through is that the hardtop is specified at 1240kg.

That's a LOT heavier than the 1973 240K GT hardtop which was specified at 1130kg.

That would indicate there were some pretty significant changes!

Skylines in Japan did use the G16 and G18 motors in the non-GT series at that time. GTs had the six cylinder motors. I wish I could look at the parts CD that I bought, but it was packed up in the move and won't be seen until January. By then this will have been resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

A better image of the engine bay before I started changing things.

Note the Mitsubishi Electric fuel pump on the right hand tower.

Physically spot-on alignment to the built in weld nuts in the tower and had Nissan style 6mm bolts securing it.

The wiring mated to the 240K harness tidily and even used the oddball 8mm spade on the power wire.

Blanking plate on the head, no mechanical pump.

Maybe the very first of the 240K's had these parts, later deleted as an unnecessary expense.

post-10015-14150798665224_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I owned 2 240K GL 2 doors. The earlier one had quite differant inlet & exhaust manifolds, but the differance seemed due to adaption of antipolution gear. On the later one, there was a "heat stove", and a flap arrangement to divert exhaust gas to the base of the inlet manifold & heat it during startup. The two manifolds were bolted together. The earlier engine had seperate manifolds.

Looking at the two I suspect that the earlier one would perform better, the exhaust manifold had straighter better looking path, and there was a little less complicated crap involved. IIRC the later car also had EGR, while the early one did not.

• 1 month later...

Art, is your GT #302 with build date 2/73 (can't quite make it out on the plate)? mine is #280 with build date 1/73..

These build numbers are pretty close.. i wonder if australia got sequential batch numbers for the first run of GT's? It certainly seems that australia picked up some of the first ones!! (i presume there had to be a number of development/test mules with the first build numbers)..

I also wonder how many 240k's Nissan made per month, and i also wonder when production started on the 240K (i am guessing it must have been 12/72 or 1/73 based on my number)

it would be certainly interesting if anyone else ever comes across a plated "GT" to record down the build number and date, and record it here!

Jim, nice article.. what date was the magazine from (and what magazine out of interest).. interesting they report it as a GL, show it as a GT (which may be simply due to the fact that the pictures may not be of australian origin), and sell it as a GT (although very briefly) :)

Edited by khughes

I believe September 1972 is when production started of the 240K.

Nissan states on their website: "The C110 Skyline became a great hit with the catchphrase "Ken & Mary" at its debut in September 1972."

The car in the article picture has GL badges on the front, and GL tail lights. Though the car in the background appears to have Datsun GT badges on the side quarter.

Geez, you have good eyes if you could make out the badges on teh car in the background.

I wonder if that debut included the coupes? if it did i would be surprised that they only made 280 coupes between 09/72 and 01/73 (or maybe the coupes started later?)

Coupes started first. Sedans weren't started untill later, or so I've been told,

I zoomed in. You cant read them, but the shape of the badge is the GT shape (like a shield). GL badges were square-ish. And by counting the white blobs across the back,there are 6 = DATSUN. There would have to be 7 for SKYLINE.