IGNORED

what is a "shunt"

bloxman

His car is a 75 280Z which, I believe, still had the ammeter rather than the voltmeter like a 76-78. If I knew where to look on the car for the shunt, I could try to find one for him on my next junkyard trip since I think they have a 75 at the local Pick a Part.

The shunt is just under the fuseable links on the right side and has 2 plugs on the end. One plug has the 10ga main wires and the other plug has 16ga wires that go to the amp meter. The two 2 Amp fuses inside are for the 16ga leads to the amp meter. Here are a couple pictures of the shunt, and it sorta looks like a regulator.

http://s170049317.onlinehome.us/V8-240z/Files/Datsun/Gauges/280Z_Shunt-1.JPG

http://s170049317.onlinehome.us/V8-240z/Files/Datsun/Gauges/280Z_Shunt.JPG

Okay, I'll add that to my junkyard list. Would it be in any other Datsun besides the 75 280z? I know the later cars wouldn't have it due to the voltmerer but are there any other one that would work?

That is a question I have no answer for. The shunt pictured is from my 75 that has a 60-60 Amp gauge. One from a late 74 may work if it had the 60-60 amp gauge.

The volt meter is really a better way of montoring the overall battery condition and charge circuit.
V8-240Z, I hope you don't mind if I take exception to that statement. A voltmeter and ammeter measure 2 different aspects of the charging system, and I don't think either is "better" than the other, just different. For example, if a minor accessory is still pulling power when the engine is turned off, the ammeter will clearly show the battery is discharging. A voltmeter will probably not move enough to be noticeable.

An analogy would be the merits of measuring oil pressure and oil temperature. Each one tells you something different about your lubrication system.

I do agree that switching to a voltmeter may be the only option for those who have upgraded to a high output alternator and use the extra capacity. But I would say that for a street driven car, staying with an ammeter if possible, is probably the better measurement if you can only have one.

I was discussing this with Stephen (sblake01), as I was looking for a transistor ignition module for a 75 280Z.

I found the module from a board member named Doug (dnicol) and while I was at it asked about the shunt for "bloxman".

He has the part in hand.

All I need now is to get it to "bloxman".

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

Zup

Thank you for thinking of me

but , the consensus is was a few replies back that if I install a shunt it will be done in a matter of seconds as I have done the Alternater upgrade, and thus I will have to go the voltmeter route.

Thanks for thinking of me

and if you ever need to get ahold of me check my profile my email is there

Apparently I can not post it in the forumn as the forumn is open to the public you can get this also on my profile.

Bloxman

Zup

Thanks for thinking of me and if you ever need to get ahold of me check my profile my email is there

Apparently I can not post it in the forumn as the forumn is open to the public you can get this also on my profile.

Consider using a PM (private message) on this forum for exchanging information that you don't want visible to the world.

Mike w

Whew I won't make that mistake again. Holly cow !

My inbox is full from members who had time to see the email posting on my thread,and cared enough to warn me of my mistake thanks guys!

Anyway so obviously in future I will ask people to send me a private Mesage in order to get my email address.

Thanks for caring

Bloxman