IGNORED

My $35 wheels

ampsman

Picked up a set of wheels of craigslist for $35! After emailing the guy to confirm size, bolt patter, offset and of course if they were actually only $35, I immediatley left work and drove to pick them up. They definitely need a little elbow grease but they are gonna clean up nice, they are 14x7.

The one on the left is after some wet sanding and polishing.

Any ideas about how to clean the mesh part?

wMTI5MDM3MDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

I had good success starting with 400 grit wet/dry and Kerosene and graduated up to 600 , then 1000 and then I used the polishing compound . Did the same with my valve cover . Great find they will look great on your Z . Gary

I would suggest media blasting the centers and then have them polished. these wheels look great when they are properly restored. the deep dish really stands out.

So that wouldnt be to harsh to sandblast them? I had thought about that but wasnt sure how it would come out.

So that wouldnt be to harsh to sandblast them? I had thought about that but wasnt sure how it would come out.
If you blast them, you'll have to sand the surface to smooth it back out for polishing. Blasting them would be fine in between the spokes, but not so hot on the polished areas. I'd lean toward an acid dip, myself. That should clean them up without totally ruining the smooth areas. They will still need to be re-polished, of course.