IGNORED

Rocker Panel Question

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey guys,

Thinking about starting the body work project soon. Heres a pic of my rust, and I was wondering if this part is the right one to replace this rust. http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/html/table_of_contents.htm

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=19380&cat=500&ppuser=9982

It doesn't seem like that part I showed as a replacement goes up to that flat part.... anyone know which part that is that needs to be replaced? Thanks

What do the ends of the rocker look like where the fenders fit up to it? If they are good by all means just patch it with flat stock. If the ends are also rusty then you will want to replace the rocker panel. Yes, the rocker panel from tabco fits nicely.

What do the ends of the rocker look like where the fenders fit up to it? If they are good by all means just patch it with flat stock. If the ends are also rusty then you will want to replace the rocker panel. Yes, the rocker panel from tabco fits nicely.

Not sure that I buy this argument. When I pulled my fenders there was literally a pile of sand on top of the rocker tips (used to live near the beach). The ends were rusty but then about 3 inches inside the rocker they were perfect. I replaced the doglegs in the back and did patch a little hole in the front, but the middle section was pretty damn clean. Pics on this thread over at hybridz: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102470

I think in this case if the top is that rusty then it is likely that they need to be replaced, but I don't think that's a good rule of thumb either. The only way to know for sure is to actually look inside the rocker and inspect it.

Thanks guys, I should probably strip the paint down before I make the full decision, but I think a new rocker panel will be good... from the outside of the car it is recessed, so its not smooth. Anybody ever have a shop do this for them? I'd love to do the work myself, but I just don't have the money to buy a welder or anything. Just curious on any "estimates". Thanks again guys.

jon;

Looking at his pictures there is more rust in those rockers. After having several of these a part I can not agree. If only the front three inches were bad I may agree. But he has rust on the top letting water into the rocker panels the full length. I am not talking just the front fender what does the dog leg look like? I was going to post pictures of the inside of the last set I pulled off which were in better shape then his but, my camera died.

I my case I can replace the rocker almost as fast as repairing it. Especially once the dog leg has been cut out. Lets me treat the metal under the rocker the full length while it is apart. I don't see any damage in the center of the rocker on the other link so why use it as a comparison? Comparing apples and oranges.

I also believe I said if the ends are also bad change it if not repair it.

Looking at his pictures there is more rust in those rockers. After having several of these a part I can not agree. If only the front three inches were bad I may agree. But he has rust on the top letting water into the rocker panels the full length. I am not talking just the front fender what does the dog leg look like? I was going to post pictures of the inside of the last set I pulled off which were in better shape then his but, my camera died.

I thought you said that if the ends are rusty you want to replace the rocker. In reading it again, you said "If the ends are ALSO rusty". I wasn't saying I disagreed with your diagnosis, only that part. I thought you were making a blanket statement that if the ends are rusty just replace the whole thing. My bad. I can't see a situation where it's not a good idea to look inside the rocker, and since most of these cars need doglegs anyway you can just cut the dogleg off and then you'll have a better idea of what needs doing.

I don't know that I can agree from the one picture that there is more rust in the rocker panel....from the ONE picture. That rust is the typical rust found underneath the door weatherstripping and the aluminum threshhold plate. Those holes are more than likely caused by the screws that held the aluminum trim piece. As such, the rocker may still be relatively clean of rust inside.

The front threshhold of the door opening where the other screws that hold the alumimun trim in place don't show any rust.

This does NOT mean that the rocker is necessarily rust free. As Jim pointed out, it IS possible that water has seeped in through those holes and caused rust, but not necessarily a fact. The rocker panel DOES have drain holes which might be more at fault for letting water in than these screw holes.

Joey: Post some pictures of the rest of the rocker, both front and rear ends as well as the center, and check for bubbling. Once we see more pictures we can give you a better idea as to whether the full rocker or a partial. Then again, if you have the money, the time, and the welding skills, then heck, replace away... new metal is better than restored metal.

Jon, the rust you found in the rear quarter panel is from the condensation inside the rear quarter panel that seeped into the rocker plenum. Unfortunately the "geezer" as you called him, probably only replaced the metal that had rusted away and didn't do further. Could he by chance have been the "low-bidder"? If so, that might explain why he short-cutted the job.

On another point, the rust you mention on the FRONT of the rocker (sand et al) is generally the result of the cowl draining into the space between the fender and the body and depositing the debris it washes out of the cowl onto that ledge. Sand is notorious for holding water (almost better than leaves/pine needles), so, that you had some rust issues because of the sand isn't surprising. The poor drain design is why I added PVC hoses to mine to actually drain OUTSIDE the car.

But your point of looking inside is spot on. That's the only way you can really see what's going on there.

Joey: Lift the vinyl on the inside of the rocker and look inside the reinforcement holes on the inside rocker metal. You'll need a light and an inspection mirror, but you'll be looking inside the rocker.

FWIW

Enrique

Could he by chance have been the "low-bidder"? If so, that might explain why he short-cutted the job.

Nope. I called around to every body shop in town when I was fixing that rust and told them I wanted to hold the pieces of rusty metal in my hands when they were done. The geezer was the only guy willing to show me the metal after the job was complete. I don't think any of these internet sites were around then. Too bad, I'm sure it would have been less expensive and I wouldn't have had to do it if I had access to this site or hybridz.org at the time.