IGNORED

83 280zx vs. 73 240z

carguyinok

Ok. Now I have A chance of getting A 83 zx. now I am looking at it for the brake parts you know rear swap. Now what about A swap of the fi system.

#1 will the intake bolt up? if so can I keep my headers?

yes the zx is non-turbo. sorry I have the su blues.

:beard:

If you are swapping the enire block and head into your 240Z, then all will bolt up fine. If you leave your block and swap over the head from the '83 280ZX then it will still bolt up fine but your headers probably won't. You said it is a non-turbo Z? Most likely you have a P79 head. Check the head casting to be certain. On the off chance you have a P90 or P90a head (turbo head) then you will be able to use your headers. Your '73 head had square exhaust ports while most of the later heads had round ports. I say later in reference to 280ZX heads. A few 280ZX's had the N47 head and therefore had square ports. Bottom line, square exhaust ports will enable you to use your existing headers. You could also just swap the intak manifold and EFI over to your '73 head and block and leave your headers where they are. You might be able to leave the calibration where it is although from seeing and talking to several Z nuts, swapping EFI from a 280ZX over to a more or less stock L24 requires calibration of the ECU and possibly the injectors. Of course wiring needs to be modded either way, new fuel lines run, new fuel pump added, etc, etc.

So whats the problem with your SU's anyway? Ever consider a carb rebuild? When I still had my 240Z, I went with Z therapy SU carbs and they were wonderful. Consider and plan carefully before jupming into a big project. :classic:

As far as whats wrong with the su set-up. asfar as I can tell nothing. I got this car 9 mo. ago. The person I got it from had redone the whole driveline. He owns A perf. auto shop and had the motor fully blueprinted @ .020 over with top-end done to match with A killer cam fresh 4 speed & limited slip rear-end.

After all that work the car went on the back burner for him. It sat covered in the corner of his shop for 5 years. I was in the shop and saw the Z lines with A cover over it and asked about it. Bang 8 years of looking for A rust free 240Z was over. Anyway the intake was bolted up with the early sus aftermarket cage style air cleaners and no vac. lines run. We got it started (needed to hear it run before money changed hands) after getting it home I started working on getting things set-up proper for the su's but just sick of playing with carbs and have not been able to find A spec. sheet for what vac. lines go where.

I was just thinking with getting A running 83 non-turbo with A nasty body for the brake swap maybe go with the efi being I own all the parts.

p.s. long term plans v-8 swap. but not for awhile.

:beard::smoke:

You know Miami is not that far from Tulsa. One of these weekends maybe we can bump heads and try to figure those carbs out. More than likely, however, it simply sat for awhile. Carbs can be tricky and despite being SU's, if they sat for 5 years they may need a good rebuilding. Thrashers carb shop here in Tulsa does a decent job, or you may consider going for the already rebuilt SU carbs from Z therapy ( www.ztherapy.com ). Like I said I had a pair and they were great. Scott at Ztherapy talked with me on the phone for a long time before and explained how he rebuilds them using 'gross jets'. Good stuff. I was fortunate enough to get '70 model SU carbs for my '73 240Z. Of course I had to sell it. Bummer too because I loved that car. If you do get a good running '83, check the block and head casting number. Block is located on passenger side, below cylinder #5. Head is on head (duh) between cylinders 1 and 2. I would strongly consider rebuilding this engine and dropping it in your Z. You might also want to grab the ZX 5-speed and R200 rear end, they drop in your 240Z as well. If you do choose to go with the ZX 5-speed, get a '78 280Z shifter handle. It mounts on your transmission and will clear the tunnel fine. No cutting, looks factory. No much else is useful from the 280ZX unless you want to do a rear disc brake conversion. There are a couple schools of thought on this, some use the rear ZX disc brakes and fab the mount. I have heard of using the fron t brakes and flipping them backwards. Downside to this is there is no way to utilize the emergency brake. Lemme know how it goes. Oh there is the most important matter for your new Z;

Have you named it yet?

How cool. I didnt even look @ where you are from . I could use someone to bump heads with on this. See I just moved here just over A year ago from Las Vegas (long story tell ya later) All the ppl I have come across here as far as motorheads go are old-school v-8 ppl as I am. But I have A deep love for the Z's but beware for A purest I am not. This Z is mine and being done to my standerds.

Just lastnight I had A group of guys over that have A speed shop/ custom body shop. We laid out the plan- There going to take the hood and cut & roll 2 openings one on each side of the front of the rise in the center of the hood making A hog-nose style hood scoop. side marker lamp holes welded/filled same with gas door and upper emblem holes.

Now the gas tank I pulled yesterday morn. I am going with A 15 gal. fuel cell. In order to mount the cell they are going to cut out the drop down for the spare tire and weld in the hole making the hatch A solid flat area for the fuel cell. Then I have A 8-point cage (weld-in) on the way. custom made rear skirt (fiberglass) the body guy is going to come over this week and make A mold of the rear-end early this week so he can make the skirt before the car gets there. Then to top the whole thing off with A coat of 1970 Dodge charger sub-lime green.

They said they will be ready to start doing this in about A month.

I CANT WAIT TILL THIS IS DONE.

:love:

p.s. no name (yet).

Good point about it being your Z and therefore being done your way. Everyone has theier own version of what they want thier Z to be. I had two but was forced to sell one of my Z's. My remaining Z is a '75 280Z, although with the body and bumper mods it looks more like a 240Z. The '83 turbo scoop on the hood really sets it apart from the rest. Future plans include a fresh L28 rebuild, a different 5-speed, etc. Etc. Don't let anyone tell you what your doing is wrong because there is no such thing. Unless you make it look like a Honda Civic; in which case we would have to tar and feather you.

• 2 months later...

I read your discussions and if you get the 83ZX and don't want the 5 speed, I would be very interested in it. (assuming it is in good shape, etc) I would like to put it in my 70 240z. Am also looking for a 3.90 R-180 to go with the setup. I am in Portland Or so would pay for shipping.

Let me know.

Galen