IGNORED

Z car value

72240Z

My car is a stock driver with no rust, all records, was my mom's for the first 30 years. I'm guessing it's worth somewhere between 10 and 20K. It has too much sentimental value to give away. If I'm going to sell it, I'd like to get what it's worth.

Devin

your still too vague, is it a stick or auto? what color combo, how many miles etc.

If you want an idea of what it is worth you need to provide more details along with photos.

To get the top end of your money scale listed above, the car will need to be all there and very original, low miles and in much better than average condition.

My car is silver with red interior, stick. Nothing has been modified over the years. It still has the original radio etc. Parts have been replaced over the years as they wore out, but it always went to the dealer for work. It is all stock, but I won't say it is original. It was repainted about 10 years ago properly, down to bare metal. It does have a few small rock chips in the front due to being driven. The odometer reads 76000, but since it's been in the family since new I know it has rolled twice. You wouldn't know it from looking at it or driving it however. I won't pretend that it is a show car. It would need a good amount of detailing to get there. The engine runs well and has no leaks. It still has the AIR pump on it even. The only non-functioning part of the car is the dealer installed a/c. It's missing the condensor, but everything else is there. I have pics of it posted here under my sign name.

Devin

Devin,

It will be difficult to find a car like this in similar condition if you sell it now and find out down the road you want another Z like it. The '72's are not that rare, and not particularly sought after, so you have to take that into consideration in setting a price. If you don't have to sell it the best strategy may be to hang on to it.

Um, okay there is one photo in your gallery and it is not really a detail photo....

So is it a Stick or Automatic? How many miles 276k from what your photo post says?...Has it ever been in an accident? Help me out 72240Z...you have a nice car, but I still cant tell what you have...or even guess at a value.

This is just my opinion, so please don't take any offense to my comments.

IMHO, for $10k the car would have to be very cherry, mostly restored or a very nice low VIN number. For $20k this would have to be a pro quality restoration. I know that a pro restoration would likely cost more than $20k, but that has nothing to do with market value. Ask Z Saint about the cost to restore yourself as he completed a nut and bolt rotissery restoration. The value is what the market will bear. I think you'd be fortunate to even get $10k. Your car looks very nice, and I'm not commenting on your car as much as the Z car market. But the right person does come along and you could get what you want.

I would carefully think through selling it. It is really special having a car that has always been in the family. I bought my last Z from a guy that only sold it because he had the opportunity to buy his grandmother's '65 Falcon Sprint. She owned it since new.

Best of luck with your decision and the sale if that is your decision.

Devin,

I agree with Bryan, the market isn't quite there yet. It looks, judging from the single picture you posted in your Gallery and sounds to be a very nice car. I would hold on to it if I were you, especially since it has such a strong sentimental value. Generally speaking, '72s aren't bringing as much money as '70 & '71s right now, probably because there are more of them out there. My advise would be to hold on to it for a few years, as values increase, you will get what you are looking for.

Since, as you state, the odometer has rolled over two times, that means it's up in the 280,000 mi. range. Make sure you have as much of the dealer maintenance and repair paperwork as possible, otherwise it will be hard to interest people past $5-6k regardless of how good it looks. Either that, or you'll have to be shady and not tell anyone....which we trust you won't do.

Cars DO wear out, and careful maintenance is the difference between a beater and a well-maintained cherry.

JMO

E

I paid $4700 for my '71 Z. It was in very good condition. It had the right Q-panel replaced about 10 years ago. NO RUST anywhere. It had 84,000 miles on it. It has all of the origianal pieces still on it, engine, tranny, rearend, wheels, hubcaps, interior, radio, etc. I am guessing my Z was looking very good to most "buyers" on eBay. I did enter $7000 at the last second but got the car for a fair price.

I have no idea what my Z is worth after my restoration. I guess if I ever sell it it will be determined by the buyer. It is a buyers market!

I do not feel a stock Z that has been "rolled twice" could ever be worth $10,000. (We are talking speedo, right?)