IGNORED

Steering Rack Differences; 240-Z vs. 260-Z (280-Z)

Joseph,

You hit it with that picture. The Zerk fitting on the pinion, was not familiar, but the one on the other end, was just what I remember. I've been meaning to find an early rack to install in my current 280Z (78), but just haven't had time.

Hey Ed/All

Based on the info supplied in this thread through the replies I managed to do some 'trouble-shooting' over the weekend to identify the rack in the car.

I have identified it as a later style, 260-Z rack. I have based this on not being able to find a grease fitting of any kind on the non-pinion end of the rack, not hidden by the boots and also the fact that the pinion box section appears to be steel rather than aluminium, ie a magnet will stick to it.

I got some pics through from a friend here in Australia with both a 240-Z and a 260-Z. The 260-Z rack also has some kind of inspection plate/cover on the rack where the pinion shaft attaches to the splines whereas the 240-Z rack does not. I will post the pics here for future reference.

Rack mounting bushing measurements would be nice at this stage.

So, I need to find a genuine RHD 240-Z steering rack here in Australia. Is there anyone whom may have one available?

Thanks again for the help on this one to date.

Joseph

post-3014-14150797591823_thumb.jpg

post-3014-14150797592195_thumb.jpg

Joseph,

I have both racks available, the one on the top is 260Z & the bottom one is 240Z. (see pics below).

Notice the narrower bush (35mm for the 260Z & 29mm for the 240Z)... the 240Z one also has both zerk fittings so I'm guessing this is the type you're after?

Nick.

racks3oo.jpg

• 3 months later...

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I have an early 240 rack which I'd like to rebuild. From what I've read being an early rack, this is fairly easlily accomplished. Rather than search forever for part numbers, does anyone have a complete list? Does Nissan stock a "kit", or do I need to order everything piece by piece?

I've also read it's cheaper and easier to source a rebuilt one, but this is for my road racer. I won't be using the factory inner tie rods (the expensive part), but rather modifying it for heim joints, or rod ends.

I asked MSA about rebuilt racks. They informed me that rebuilt racks are no longer available as the inner bushing, which is the primary source of "failure", is no longer made.

There is a thread here (or on Zcar.com) that talks about rotating the bushing 180 degrees. It is my recollection that the bottom part of the bushing wears out first.

The 180 trick sounds interesting. I assumed Victoria British didn't have anything, but after posting this I checked their catalog and they do in fact list the bushings and seals. Their parts brands seem to be hit or miss lately, but I'll probably order through them.

Quick questions for those still confused mainly myself.

1.) Is a Zerk Fitting the same as a Grease Nipple?

2.) The difference between late rack (260z, 280z) and early rack (240z) is that the early rack has two Zerk fittings allowing it to last longer due to more/better lubrication?

This is interesting and contradicting to what I have read previously that the later 260z rack was more robust and therefore better in design.

How are you suposed to know if your rack is shot? My stearing has about a quarter inch play before it engages the wheels. And yes I did replace my rack mounts with new urathane, so I know that the rack isn't moving.

Does the pinion go bad, or is it the bushings or does the rack gear spacing get to big.

Thanks