IGNORED

Datsun 240k Gl 1977 Needing Advice Or Feedback?

tonyasap

Hi all,

I have a 1977 DATSUN 240K GL sedan at home. It has been garaged and not driven for the last 12 years. It is all in original condition although the paintwork is a bit sad now, the body is straight, The vinyl roof is still very good. The interior is as it left the factory-perfect, even have the original radio & tape deck. The car has approx 67,000 km on the clock.

My questions for Your feedback and advise are:

(i) Should I hang on to it and restore it to its original condition.

(ii) Should I modify the car for performance and looks, or,

(iii) Should I get rid of the car-I've had it so long I think I might miss her??

Thanks Tonyasap (QLD Datty Owner:ermm:

you need to look into the hearts of the datsun gods i always prefer origional if it has good interior especially dash think about restoring to concourse condition as old ones fade values only increase so people that think ahead now are better off.

I did not realise the strong following for this car. Something told me to hang on to it all these years. Now with all Your support, and its been a real eyeopener, the 240K will get a new life.

Still undecided whether to go Original or Street machine?? (My last attempt at street machine was unregisterable for road use)

Clean it up, register it first, then go to town and enjoy ! There is so much you can do and most will not cost the earth. Have a look around the forums to see want people are doing to the motor and body. Have a look at Kent's Project site if your thinking about engine transplants.

Keep it original.

Yes, the 240K is becoming more popular (I blame the Skyline GTR phenomenon, and the 240K was the first Nissan Skyline GTR ever made, so all the dorifto kings want one now).

Despite their new found popularity, prices haven't done much. If you do build it into a show car, be prepared to lose money hand over fist (as you do with most cars)

No it wasn't :P

The PGC10 was the first Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R, the KPGC10 was the second (although still in the same series just 2 instead of 4 doors) and the KPGC110 was the third, the C110 being exported and sold as the 240K in both HGC110 and KHGC110 forms, also the later C210 was sold as a 240K though never came in a GT-R variant at all.

Yes, but those ones weren't sold as Nissans, not here in Oz anyway. They were Prince Skylines. Minor but significant detail.

Besides, if you could get your hands on one (GTR or otherwise), it would be worth plenty more than a 240K

Yes they were sold as Nissan's, they weren't exported anywhere in great numbers (if at all) but the first Nissan GT-R was the C10, previous to the C10 and the closest thing to a GT-R was the S54B (2litre SOHC Straight 6 with Triple Webbers) and they were sold as Prince Skyline's.

As I said, not sold in Australia as Nissans. The Prince Skylines were available here (although in very small numbers).

OK - so you say the original GTR was a Nissan - do you really think the average punter is going to know that? My whole point was that the 240K is starting to gain popularity because all of the godzilla heads out there can identify with it as being "the original GTR". 99% of them will hever have seen a C10 Skyline, and aren't likely to, either, so whether they were marketed as a Nissan or Prince really means very little in that argument.