IGNORED

E31 vs E88 vs N42

blue_leaf

Well I have narrowed down my possible choices of the head to this three for various reasons. Could anyone give me a clear answer as to which one flows best stock and which one is easy to improve (= minimum financial investments:) )? My engine is to stay NA and FI. I am aiming to have compression of low/mid 10s (btw can I use 100 octane fuel - the highest octane fuel available from pumps here in Australia as far as I know?). Also I am using an L28 block with flat top pistons and read somewhere that an E series heads will give me the required compression without any modifications - can anyone confirm this?

Umm, let's think a bit here. If you are planning to stay with injection (and there's no reason not to if yours is working well), neither the E31 or E88 heads will work without serious mods. Neither of those heads have the notch to clear the injectors, nor do they have the holes for the injection manifold studs. Of the three you listed, your only reasonable choice is the N42.

Don't forget a P90(best flow) and a copper head gasket(in the required thickness).

Will

As far as I know the P90 never was available in Australia - you are welcome to correct me here.

Umm, let's think a bit here. If you are planning to stay with injection (and there's no reason not to if yours is working well), neither the E31 or E88 heads will work without serious mods. Neither of those heads have the notch to clear the injectors, nor do they have the holes for the injection manifold studs. Of the three you listed, your only reasonable choice is the N42.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info I didnt know that - this makes the choice much simpler :)

As far as I know the P90 never was available in Australia - you are welcome to correct me here.
We didn't know that you were in OZ, it would be helpful for the future if you put your location in your profile so we can see things like that.

And should you find a P90, you may not be happy with the compression it gives without modifications. On an L28 with flat-top pistons the P90 is only going to give 8.8:1 or so. Maybe 9.0 if you mill it a bit.

G72S20 has the idea 'Sport Classic at Castlereagh near Sydney are a good source for all Zed parts, Carlos....... will find what you need.

Highly recommend P90 injected L28 (F54) sourced in Australian for 240Z 'Sport'. For N/A or boosted this is the best possible combination for L series within availability or price range.

The other options in Australia are P90a or E88 (R30) version with injection shaped inlets

Early E30 and E31 heads are getting super long in the tooth, not usually in good enough condition to consider. Good luck

cheers

Steve

I'd recommend an N42 for alot of the reasons stated above. I'd also go with an N42 in general since P90's are over priced and under compressed :).

P90 is the best head for turbo charging stock. For N/A I reakon the N42 is the best to begin with.

Actually the P90 was available here although somewhat rare. It could be found on the 1980's patrol's. It was also available on some late 280zx's although I can't confirm the ZX part. It was definately found on some model's with the L-series.

Hi Gav,

good comment, got to agree on the N42 for a stock as a rock change over maintaing compression with the flat tops with minimal work.

I am a very happy P90 supporter myself, In my case I bought my P90 head off the shelf, factory new in Sydney many years ago. Did a performance build on an L28 looking for those low 10 compression numbers, flows sweet N/A on injection (daily driver).

cheers

Steve:classic: