IGNORED

Basement Waterproofing?

Jayru

I'm no contractor or professional on this subject but, since it seems that everyone agrees you need a sump pump why not just try that first? Maybe this is all you need? If it doesn't work then you start looking into waterproofing the outside.

Jayru , If you were going to leave the basement a basement then interior drain systime and or a sump pump would be ok. Since you are wanting to make a liveable area in there you will continue to have dampness and the associated oder . Be advised that in most areas of the country . If you are having sleeping quarters there a way of egress directly to the exterior of the house is required. If a window is the method it cannot have a sill higher that 48" form the floor. So a person can exit to the outside . Also on older homes the basement slabs were not poured over a vapor barrier and you may find that moisture may be drawn up from below and also through the walls when the area is heated . Personally I used pressure treated lumber any place where the wood is in contact with the cement. Like when framing the walls around the permiter for sheetrock . If the moisture is not severe , I have had good luck with Dry-lok paint to seal the concrete. It may not completely solve the problem but it will help a great deal. My 2 ¢ One more thing be sure you have a good roof gutter systime to keep rain water form draining close to the foundation .

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

So they came and installed the interior drain system today, took about a half a day. Looks good, except for the fact that the drain system is not piched twards the sump, it's level. So i asked how the water will get to the sump if it's level (some areas slightly pitched the wrong way) ? They told me that water will follow the path of least resistance and find it's way to the sump anyway.

I hope this is true I'm going to start framing as soon as the cement dries, if i still get water when it rains i'll be screwed.

It's not sloped the wrong way anything crazy, but it is sloped a tad off level (in the opposite direction) in 1 or 2 spots.

Well i just got off the phone with the service manager. He says that the system is supposed to be installed level on the footer. Even if it is a tad off in a few spots, he assured me water will seek it's own level and fill their system, reaching the pump, before it ever got to the floor.

My guess is i would have a little standing water in the area's where the pitch was a little off, which would have to evaporate.

To me, it seems like the logical thing would be to pitch it, but they say no. I just don't know. Hopefully they know what their doing.

Last Q: Is there a warranty?

Is that a sarcastic comment or a legimite question? Yes there is one...

But they all (waterproofing companies), state they will only fix the waterproofing problem (if it doesn't work), not repair any damage the water coming in might cause...

I'm planing to start framing an apartment as soon as the cement dries.

I spent 10 years as a concrete repair contractor (I owned the company) and fixed hundreds of basements that were leaking. I am a believer that there is not one way to fix a leak, there are several. It really depends on what the source of the water is and how it is going into the basement.

I have only seen 2 occasions where the water came in through the slab. It usually comes through the wall or at the cold joint (where the wall meets the slab). On both occasions where the water came through the slab, there was a large water source below the slab. Every other time it came from hydrostatic pressure through the walls.

Without knowing the specific of your problem (that means not seeing the situation in person), it is very difficult to tell you what I would have done. I have never installed a sump and have had a 100% success rate in stopping water (knock on wood that it stays that way). As for digging out the foundation and re-applying a tar coat, gravel, etc., IMO, that only lasts as long as the tar coat stays pliable, which is generally about 3-5 years. When the tar gets brittle, it cracks and you have the same problem all over again. Someone else said that the most expensive option may turn out to be the least expensive and that may very well be true. Lots of times I went in after someone lese "tried" to fix the problem and my job became much more difficult and expensive.

Sorry that I got into this discussion late, but I just ran across the thread.

But then what are you suggesting i should have done? The water was coming from the cold joint, i had no wall seepage. I have no underground streams/sources of water. It only happened under extended periods of rain where the hydrostatic pressure would force it through the joint. This is why i went with the channel system under the slab at the joint with a sump pump.

Are you saying that's not a good method?

If it is working, it is a good method. There are lots of ways to fix basements.

You might (remember I haven't seen it) have been able to inject the cold joint with a hydrophillic polyurethane grout. These grouts expand when they encounter water, but remain flexible. It is a messy process, but would have cost less than what you paid.

You could have also tried re-landscaping. Nothing major, just insuring that the ground makes it easier for the water to run away from the foundation. Rain gutters can also help. Keeping water away helps, but isn't always the answer.

Hope that helps. I also hope I haven't cast doubt on what you have done, I was just offering some food for thought.