IGNORED

Headlight Upgrade Harness's For Sale (again!)

Zs-ondabrain

so is 4 guage the same size as the normal battery cable? If so, I should probably look into getting a 2 output post for this...anybody have any suggestions? This is one area where I'm not very knowledgeable, but I do always 'redo' my connections each year at least one on my posts, with a cleaner, and spray some of that red stuff every time on them--has always worked good for me.

Attached is a photo of a dual wire connector, one connects at 6 oclock and one connects at 3 oclock...what does everyone think?

post-3789-14150796870596_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that it a remote style splitter (chunk of brass with 1 big input and four outputs that sits somewhere other than the battery)?

If that's the case, 8 gauge should be adiquit but I also agree with Dhoneycutt. 4 gauge would be better if that distribution block allows an input of that size.

Think of wiring as plumbing. The more flow you need, the bigger the pipe. If you run small pipe, and try to get it to feed too many things, the line could burst or fail. Now if your talking about wiring- that would mean that the wire would over heat from too much current flow (just like water) and go into meltdown. which means fire.

So to answer your question simply, yes it will work but why take a chance, go with something a little bigger (4-gauge). That Pioneer will not draw that much power and there is technichly no possible way for it to TRULY make the 200 watts that it says it makes. Even with a lightning strike!! I've worked with stereos for over 20 years now, so trust me on that one. If it could, there would be a lot bigger wire one the stereo and it would be fused with at least a 20Amp fuse.

When I worked at Car-Toys in Everett WA, we hooked that yellow wire up to the stock wiring all the time and never had a problem.

Heres some more info for all of you in need of the know......

On almost every stereo made nowadays, the wires are this...

Yellow=battery power(+)

Red=Ignition or switched power (+)

Black=any good chassis ground (-)

Blue=amp turn on lead(+)

Blue/white=power antenna lead (+)

orange=Illumination (radio dimmer)

White= left front speaker (+)

white/black=left front speaker(-)

Grey=right frontspeaker (+)

Grey/black=right front speaker (-)

Green=left rear speaker (+)

Green/black= left rear speaker (-)

Purple= right rear speaker (+)

Purple/black=right rear speaker (-)

Hope that helps,

Dave.

Dave, in case you missed it on other threads and mailing lists, I finally got my headlight harness installed. Your product is nothing less than first class. Very well engineered, Dave. I have noticed a good increase in headlight intensity.

You might want to note that there are TWO ground connectors in your instructions. The instructions only mention cleaning the surface once. I also recommend adding an instruction to put a little dielectric grease on the end of the new female connector. The other connectors will already have a little in them, but the new female connector on the right side will not. Thanks.

Oh, also would you recommend covering the new female connector on the right side that ends up not having the OEM plastic weather cover? I'm sure they were put there to keep water from spraying into the connector assemblies.

Hello Dave,

I will loudly echo everyone's praises regarding the headlight harness. Great design, top-notch fabrication and superb in application. I was having a hot fuse and headlight switch problem, exacerbated by the previous owner's installtation of H-4's, and only slightly mitigated by my disassembly and cleaning of the switch. Dave's harness in - problem solved. Great job!

Here are some observations from my experience that might make the whole transaction even better.

1. PayPal payment option. You mentioned somewhere your reluctance to incorporate this because they charge a fee. I suggest that you offer buyers the option of paying 2 or 3 dollars more per item to cover the Paypal fee if they would like to pay instantly in this fashion. Since my credit union charged me $2.00 for the cashier's check / money order, I would gladly have paid the extra $2.00 to you for a PayPal option.

2. I would suggest rewriting instruction 10, which says

"Remove the bolt that holds the center valance to the inner frame (fig.2)"

so that it says

"10) Remove 2 bolts which hold the lower valance to the inner frame on each side of the lower radiator support(fig.2)"

In conjunction with this, I would suggest posting the photographs in your instructions to your classiczcars gallery, where they can be viewed in color and with greater clarity.

Why? Because the phrase "center valance" had me looking at a bolt in the center of the car, and fig.#2 photo was not clear enough to straighten me out. Also, by adding the phrase "on each side of the radiator", it would clarify that there are two bolts that should be prepped for grounding. You see, as I passed the harness through the lower radiator support hole (step 6), I failed to pass the ground wire for the right side connector through the hole. I was able to make all the other connections, and mistakenly assumed that the installation was complete after grounding the left side headlight connector (until I powered up and threw the switch!). Upon reviewing this thread, I found bpilati's post and the reference to two grounds, and found the error of my ways. In suggesting that the instructions be changed to reflect two grounding points, I agree with bpilati's earlier assertion.

3. If refining the design is your desire, again I would agree with bpilati's suggestion to place a rubber sheath on the female connector to protect that connection as is done with the others.

4. As a general regard for privacy, I'll suggest you could inform people of the progress of their orders by using their first name, last initial or user name as opposed to first and last name. Personally, I have no objection to you informing me by using my full name, but others may prefer the anonymity.

5. Lastly, I would suggest that you arrange to promote your products on Zselect.com, linked here:[url=]http://www.hammondsplains.com/z/. This site is described as "Products for Z Enthusiasts by Z Enthusiasts", which certainly describes you and your products. At the bottom of the page is a clickee with contact information to ad your products. I found this site linked in a post on zcar.com, where you could also advertise in their classifieds. And I would definitely offer your harnesses on ebay.

I hope these suggestions are of some value to you, and that they are received in the spirit which they are intended, that is, constructively - not critically.

As Carl Beck's signature says,

FWIW,

Gary S.

Hello Dave,

I will loudly echo everyone's praises regarding the headlight harness. Great design, top-notch fabrication and superb in application. Dave's harness in - problem solved. Great job!

Thank you very much!!

1. PayPal payment option. You mentioned somewhere your reluctance to incorporate this because they charge a fee.

As I said in a post a while ago, but it most likely got burried somewhere " I don't Have a bank account of my own at the moment, U.S. Bank screwed me six ways from Sunday and put the arse cream a little too far out of reach"

I will however work on something easier, But I have also mentioned that almost every 7-11 and most conveniant stores in almost every town in the U.S. has money orders for about 0.79 cents each.

2. I would suggest rewriting instruction 10,

I'll work on that, thanks for pointing it out.

3. If refining the design is your desire, again I would agree with bpilati's suggestion to place a rubber sheath on the female connector to protect that connection as is done with the others.

I have actually looked for those boots with no luck thus far. However, With as much Di-electric grease as I put in each plug, I don't really think moisture will be the issue. I have found that those boots are not only useless (in keeping moisture out) but make great homes for bugs to live in.

4. As a general regard for privacy, I'll suggest you could inform people of the progress of their orders by using their first name, last initial or user name as opposed to first and last name.

I totally agree, with the exception that no one has ever mentioned it being a problem. Also, I have mentioned many times that an E-mail address or Screen name inside the order would be much appreciated. Yet I've only gotten 3 screen names and 2 E-mails so far (in a year and a half of making these harness's) I'm usually to busy to compare and find e-mails and match them to orders out of the mailbox.

5. Lastly, I would suggest that you arrange to promote your products on Zselect.com, linked here:[url=]http://www.hammondsplains.com/z/. This site is described as "Products for Z Enthusiasts by Z Enthusiasts", which certainly describes you and your products. And I would definitely offer your harnesses on ebay.

Once again, I totaly agree! I'll keep these in mind as well. But I'm gonna pass on the whole e-bay thing for quite a while. It runs along side the whole Pay-pal issue and I'm not at a stage where I can make an e-bay store or take a loss on too low of a bid. I realize that a buy-it-now button is there for the taking but because of my situation which I'll explain on the next paragraph, my schedule does'nt allow it.

My situation is this....I have 5 kids and a beautiful wife who has severe Epilepsy. It's on both sides of her brain and inoperable till new technology comes around. Even if they had an operation ready right now, we won't do it till the kids are mature enough and have moved out and are able to handle their mother not making it thru the surgery (worst case scenario)

I wake up at 6:30 and help her get the kids off to school after feeding and practically dressing them. I check my e-mails then start calling in orders and making harness's. But I also have to schedule around multiple Dr's apointments and school functions. My mother has M.S., My brother has a new baby and a girlfriend with a drug problem. I make multiple runs to her bank and help my best friend with his espresso stand on top of working on cars as another source of income.

Needless to say, My days are pretty damn full and I barely have enough time to write this and get to bed so I can get up in the morning and do it all over again.

I hope these suggestions are of some value to you, and that they are received in the spirit which they are intended, that is, constructively - not critically

Constructive critisism is the backbone of every small business and is deffinately welcome here. Without it, my harness's would'nt be what they are today.

Thanks again,

Dave.

Dave,

I had no idea what your personal situation is, and I appreciate you enlightening me. This makes me respect your work even more. Given these circumstances, it pains me to see you replying to my post at 12:55 a.m. I think we need to establish an internet curfew for you, say, no posting after midnight:)!

Best wishes,

Gary S.

Dave,

I'm not sure what the big deal is with paypal...you just increase your shipping and handling figure to offset the cost of using it...on ebay, its the way to go, having sold lots of stuff on there....the cost of paypal transactions shouldn't effect anything you do on there, imo. You don't get screwed by people sending checks either...once the money is in your paypal account, nobody's touching it but you, and you don't ship til its there.

Dave,

I'm not sure what the big deal is with paypal....

As I said in a post a while ago, but it most likely got burried somewhere "I don't Have a bank account of my own at the moment, U.S. Bank screwed me six ways from Sunday and put the arse cream a little too far out of reach"

I will however work on something easier, But I have also mentioned that almost every 7-11 and most conveniant stores in almost every town in the U.S. has money orders for about 0.79 cents each.

Thanks again,

Dave.

Guys,

Sure PayPal might be a little more convenient for us, but Dave has plenty on his plate, and has done and is doing a great service for us and our cars. Even where I live (boonies) money orders aren't too tough or expensive to purchase. Let's let him run his business the way he wants and/or needs to.

$.02