IGNORED

Headlight Upgrade Harness's For Sale (again!)

Zs-ondabrain

Last week I installed Dave's headlight harness (in conjunction with rebuilt T/S and combo switches, and the parking light relay harness, both by Dave).

I have to say, all things considered, it was very easy to install. The difficulty I experienced was more a result of my setup than anything else, a stock Z should be no problem.

Firstly, some PO had VERY thoroughly wrapped all the connections at the front of the car in electrical tape. It took me a lot of time and scraped knuckles to gain access to the plugs I needed to swap out. The plugs for the kit were of course a direct fit with the originals, and made for a nice clean looking setup. I didn't have to cut or splice any wires together.

Secondly, I do not have a front valence - a PO replaced it with a fiberglass airdam at some point. Finding a good ground in my setup was not as simple as the stock case, but luckily I had installed one of the MSA A/C kits last year, and had some good brackets holding the condenser on to attach my ground wires to. I was hesitant to try for one of the stock bolts or screws accessible in the area around the plugs because they all had paint around them, and given that I live in an apartment and go to college full-time, I do not have all the creature comforts of a fully decked out garage (not even a dremel tool) to get at some good bare metal.

I believe my headlights are brighter now, but they are still the dinky stock-spec lamps. I will probably be upgrading soon now that I know I wont burn up my stock wiring doing so with these harnesses in place.

I managed to install the kit using only a few screwdrivers, a leatherman tool, a handful of zip-ties, and a wrench for disconnecting the battery. The sockets of the harness even came well packed in dielectric grease to make sure the connections are protected when you just put them together.

6) VERY SOON I WILL BE DOING ENGINE HARNESS REPAIR, SERVICE AND UPGRADES AS WELL AS BUILDING BRAND NEW ENGINGE HARNESS'S STARTING WITH THE EARLY 240Z'S. (NO SET PRICES YET.)

BUMP

Dave.

Even sooner, I hope, you will be making the rear strut speak mounts.... Hope you haven't forgotten......

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the new Parking Light harness, and it worked great. One thing though, the wire from power to relay might be bit long. I had to coil up the extra, but it's not a problem. Getting that wire through the grommet/boot was a b*tch. You have to go inside and move the harness a bit to the side once you get the wire started or it will never go through. Better too much than too little. :)

Thanks Dave.

For the parking light harness, I went through the firewall holes drilled in for the dealer installed air conditioning. That was drilled through under the battery. Much easier than going through the wiring harness grommet and there is enough slack in the harness for the longer run.

Hi Dave, what can you say about the Black Dragon headligth harness?

I thought to buy that one, but with all those commentaries......I do not know:rolleyes:

Well, First off, I just noticed that your signiture says 6/74' 240Z. Somethings wrong with that one. They only made the 240Z up to 10 of 73' You own a 260Z unless I'm severely missinformed.

As for your question, It's commonly asked and a good question. The Black Dragon Harness sucks arse!! Unless you feel like tearing into your headlight bucket, cutting a bunch of wires, dissasembling the BD harness in order to put their wires into your bucket, or even worse, cutting your engine harness in order to use their harness.

It's not a bad unit if the back of your headlights are exposed like a 510 or some older Toyota's. But on the Z's you cant just plug in their harness into any 240, 260 or 280Z that I know of, without cutting the crap out of it.

They are cheaper than mine but you also get what you pay for. Mine is a true Plug and play unit, theirs is not. Mine is built specifically for the 240Z theirs is NOT. Mine is guaranteed against failure, IE: if it fails to work or quits, I'll talk you through it or make the repair myself, free of charge. They won't.

Dave.

PS. all the info is in the first few post's of this thread. But you can always ask me thru an email if you can't find the answers in the 150+ posts here.

sounds like a good idea. And if your 24 0 was made before 3/73' and your combo switch has a 6-pin 3/8" X 1 1/4" white plug, Your Z will accept my parking light upgrade harness as well.

Just something to keep in mind when you decide to get the Headlight upgrade.

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

Don't know if you'd be interested in this or not but on eBay there is a wiring harness(es) or, as the ad states: "These are wire hernes for 1969-1973 Datsun 240Z. They were working just fine. I just pulled them out due to engine issues." with a "Buy it Now" price of $30. It's difficult to tell by the pics if it's junk or not & the description isn't that descriptive.

eBay wiring harness

Anyway, thought I'd let you know. The auction ends on May-28-07 19:59:59 PDT. Image

Hullo All

I recently purchased the Upgrade Headlight and Parking Light Harnesses from Zs-ondabrain (Dave Irwin). I was able to fit the new harnesses pretty quickly, but had to modify the Headlight buckets and have new harnesses made up to connect Daves headlight harness to the H4 headlights I wanted to fit.

After a couple of days and visits to my local Auto Electrician I have a new set of H4 100/80 Narva Headlights fitted, which make a huge improvement to the 55/50 original sealed beams.

All the vehicles in the rest of our "fleet" run the 100/80 Halogen lights where possible, but we also use Hella Rally 4000 with 100 Watt halogen driving lights, where possible. So the 240Z is not as good as the rest of the vehicles, but dramatically better than standard.

The best lights are on our Lexus LS430, which has upgraded headlights and Hella HID Xenon driving lights added. I don't expect that the 240Z will receive that good a set of driving lights though!!

Thanks again to Dave Irwin for the ideas and the harnesses - and great help too!!

Regards, Jack

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update to all who are interested..

I have 3 HLH's (headlight upgrade harness's) for the 240Z, in stock and ready to be shipped.

The HLH's are still $125 and are universal for ALL 240Z's

The PLH's (parking light upgrade harness) Are now $40. My supplier doubled the price of my supplies. They work on all 240Z's UP TO 3/73'

The ZXP's (280ZX alternator adaptor plug) are still $15 each and work on all 240Z's

I Still do the LED Tail Light Conversion for ALL 240Z's. The conversion is still $250. You send me your 240Z taillights and I convert them to LED. They are brighter, use less than 1/4 of the amperage and bring your Z into the 21st Century.

I also do the Combo/Turn signal Switch service. For $40, you send me your Combo and T/S switches and I rebuild them as a set. I clean up each switch, clean the contacts, fix any wiring issues, regrease them and send them back. ($75 for 2 sets)

I STILL don't take PayPal but I do take Money Orders, Casheirs Checks and Cash. Email me for shipping and Payment info at wolfin32z@yahoo.com

Dave.