IGNORED

broken water pump bolt!!!

cj71z

I would have to agree with ed and bart on this, take the cover off and try and get the bolt out. Then relpace everything in there. Unless you have a fairly new chain like 30,000 or less. You could replace the oil pump with the turbo model or replace the distro with the ZX type. Just don't get the WIAI (while I'm at it) syndrom. You could end up with a new engine or worse if you get WIAI. Good luck and keep us posted..

When I took off my timing cover, I cheated and didn't even remove the oil pan. I just took out the front bolts that run into the timing cover and slid it out. Before I put it back on, I used a bunch of the silicon gasket stuff and spread it around the old gasket. It works fine and doesn't leak at all. It's probably not the right thing to do, but I got away with it. :ermm:

LOL you guys are doing it all wrong!! LOL no my friend did this to his alum. block in his porsche, luckly my dad is a tool and die engineer. He came right over and fixed it this is what you need to do to get it out. Most likely you don't want to drill it out and retap it to a bigger hole. You get a smaller drill bit that the bolt size and carefully drill out alittle ways into the bolt. You get a special bit that cuts into the small hole and graps on to it and turn it out most of the time keeping the hole in perfect shape!!!!! I will have to ask him what the exact name of that little bit is that turns it out, and don't forget to spray the wizz out of it for a few days with wd-40 or similar product!!! Hell i could prob even get the bit and send it to you if you really need it. If the old man can get one out of an aluminum block in less that 2 mins you can surely get one out of your z. let me know if you want the bit.

LOL you guys are doing it all wrong!! LOL no my friend did this to his alum. block in his porsche, luckly my dad is a tool and die engineer. He came right over and fixed it this is what you need to do to get it out. Most likely you don't want to drill it out and retap it to a bigger hole. You get a smaller drill bit that the bolt size and carefully drill out alittle ways into the bolt. You get a special bit that cuts into the small hole and graps on to it and turn it out most of the time keeping the hole in perfect shape!!!!! I will have to ask him what the exact name of that little bit is that turns it out, and don't forget to spray the wizz out of it for a few days with wd-40 or similar product!!! Hell i could prob even get the bit and send it to you if you really need it. If the old man can get one out of an aluminum block in less that 2 mins you can surely get one out of your z. let me know if you want the bit.

Yes this would be the correct way to extract a broken bolt IF you already have access to the broken bolt. But unfortunately to be able to drill the broken bolt the cover must be removed to gain access to the bolt. Once the cover is off spray the broken bolt with PB Blaster. Let it soak. Then use an EZ-out. Do a search on ez-out and you will find several threads on how to correctly go about removing the broken bolt.

Do we know how deep in the bolt broke? If cj71z got lucky and it broke near the surface of the cover and it was a pretty clean break, then he might just have an opportunity to use an ez-out.

Otherwise I would agree with Ed and the cover's gotta come off.

Another case of BrokeBolt Outin' Brrraaaahhaaaa!

Man I can't believe all the responses...Thanks for everyones help.

"IMHO, if you're taking everything off anyway, spend the $100 or so and replace the whole timing kit, chain, tensioner, guides etc." Mcl240z, this is what I was concerned about. My car has 120K on it, all from my parents, though it's been sitting for 10 years. I'm not sure of the condition of the chain now, it has never been driven very hard. Ed, thanks for your how-to, that sounds like what I read before. I don't have a shop manual, just a chiltons. Will I need a more detailed one? Cremmenga, I originally wanted to do this, but since the bolt is threaded about 3-4 inches behind the timing cover it seems like it would be hard to do it right. The bolt is broken in the block, when I measured the two side by side the broken one is now about 1 inch shorter. WIAI sydrome=$$$$ in the engine department. I'm gonna save it for a F54 w/ my N42 head

If you do get to the point that you decide on a EZ-out . Be V A R Y careful . The EZ-out is as hard a file and vary brittle . They easily snap off if not careful , and even if your careful! Trying to drill out the EZ-out with a drill that is made of softer steel is a real problem. So make doubly sure that you do not put ANY side to side pressure on it. I have used these things for years and they are a last resort for me . I try to avoid them as much as possable. I have heard of having a bolt welded on the end of the broken bolt then backing it out, I havent had to try that , as yet . I know cremmenga's dady used one like he said , but there a crap shoot. My 2¢

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys nearly a month later and I finally got the bolt out. I bought one of those EZ out tools and the damn thing broke in the hole I drilled. What a bitch to get out. I'll tell you beandip, I'm with you on those. I'll never use it again, what a waste of time. Should've just use the helicoil in the first place. IMO, Anyone who reads this should stay away from the EZ out method. Thanks for all the help guys, gonna go back outside and finish putting her back together.