IGNORED

This engine,That engine...

7240z

Just think about running fuel through a turbo ?? do you think the exhost gases that spin it are cool ? Explosion ! no wonder , a intercooler is to cool the air but the fuel is injected into the cylinders. As to the comment of the L-24 vs the L-26 and 28 and the F-54 ZX engines . the L-26 is just a 240 engine with a 280 crank . this was brought on line to try and make up for detuneing of he L-24 and it's loss of power . This detune was mandated to comply with the emissions standards enforced at that time . The engine was then bored some and brought he bore and stroke back to the ratio used on the early blocks , thus the 280 . There were also larger valves and different ignitions used which improved and helped performance and emissions as they continued to try to keep the performance up . All along the car became heaver . The F-54 is just a different casting of the block and involves the water jackets and supposededly made a stronger block. The ZX engine is the latest in evloution of this fine engine. It has flat topped pistons , unless its a turbo. All the other years of L-28 280 have dished pistons . I hope this answers your questions. ezra .

gogriz91,

Yes you can put a twin turbo on the l28. You just have to find the items for it. I have only seen a few in the years I have been around the Z car. You can try this link for a look at what it costs and how it is set up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-IHI-RHB6-280Z-260Z-240Z-S130-S30-TWIN-TURBO-KIT-NR_W0QQitemZ8031899830QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A correctly built motor will yeild a nice power band, so if you build an l24, 26, 28 or a 3.2 all the same way you will gain (obviously) power with the larger displacement. An L28 in a light weight 240 is faster than an L24. The later cars were slower due to there weight more than the motor. All the motors can be problematic if build poorly and can be very powerfull and reliable if built properly.

The internals of the different motors seems to be of the same build quality, I think they are all good motors. I do ot know about the external stuff like FI and different sensors ect. I have an L28 with and E31 head and all the other stuff is from a 240 (carbs ect). The bottom end has not had any problems and it is driven very hard all the time.

I want to build a 3.1 turbo stroker motor. It sounds bad arse, but i dont know if it is possible :)

Sure it's possible, but why? A stroker will give you a bump in power proportional to the increase in size. So a 3.1 stroker will have 10% more power than a 2.8L built the same way.

The difference on a turbo is the fact that you can turn up the boost and get way more than a 10% increase in power. Building a stroker is expensive. Building a 2.8L isn't as bad. People are getting (and this is the technical term, BTW) buttloads o' power out of the 2.8L. I'd stick with the 2.8L until you've exhausted all the turbo, intercooler, and aftermarket FI upgrades. Then when you still think that you can't make enough power, THEN do the stroker. There are enough guys over at hybridz.org making 350-400 whp with a 2.8L turbo to convince me that the stroker is unnecessary. Then again who knows, maybe you're shooting for 700whp.

gogriz91,

Yes you can put a twin turbo on the l28. You just have to find the items for it. I have only seen a few in the years I have been around the Z car. You can try this link for a look at what it costs and how it is set up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-IHI-RHB6-280Z-260Z-240Z-S130-S30-TWIN-TURBO-KIT-NR_W0QQitemZ8031899830QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the info, will we be seeing you at the Mitty?

The only reason I made my comment is that Ezra mentioned swapping engines. We weren't really comparing 240Zs to later S30s. Just engines.

Stephen was right in saying this. This wasn't my intention at all. I think xray probably was the closest to the apex on this one but it didn't really answer my question. Do people actually read the starter thread? Or do they just ride on the latest posted conversion?:mad:

I've been reading around some magazines,books and been looking around the site and I noticed that some 240z owners have swapped or changed their engines for a 260z,280z and even a ZX. From what I've gathered, the L24 was the best among the bloodlines but are the others better? I know the 260 and the 280 had bigger dissplacement then the 240 but due to fuel restrictions they were slower. I understand the rebore bit to 3.1L but can anyone tell me why they would do this? Could it be the 260 and 280 were less problematic? Or should I dare say it...stronger?

As stated in numerous threads in the past, the primary reason to go to these other motors(L26, L28) is to get more power. Period. Aside from that, I can think of no good reason to change out the L24. One of the main reasons these later engines were perceived as having less power was due to the later cars being heavier and therefore slower. Not so. Check the numbers. The motors continued to get bigger(more displacement and more HP) to make up for the a loss of performance for two reasons: (1) design changes were made to the combustion chambers to lower compression ratios and help meet increasingly strict emission requirements, (2) to compensate for the increasing weight of the cars.