IGNORED

Just started on my 'refresh' of my 280z (Frame Rail question)

280z1975

Hello all,

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for the past three weeks.

So the quick version about how I aquired my Z. My uncle has been a Z car lover for a long time and had a 75' Z in his garage (it's been there as long as I can remeber) and recently at Thanksgiving I said I wished I had a stereo with an audio line-in. He said, "You can have the one out of the Z before I have it towed away" I was like :cross-eye and asked if I could have the Z. I was looking for a second car for me and my fiancee to use and I would rather put 2,000 into a Z and save it than buy some used hunk of junk.

The car has a completely rebuilt engine (done by my uncles friend who done drag engines) and was only drivin a little bit for a year after the rebuild. The body is in 'ok' shape, most of the rust on it is from a neglectiful mechanic who let it sit outside for three months with the windown partially down! (prevention is such an easy thing). Overall it's a great car and I can't wait to get it to a quality state (I am not going for a full refurb or show car as I want this as a daily driver and frankly I don't have that kind of money at the moment (a new house to be bought and a wedding are preventing that from happenting)

Anyways, I have attached some photos of the passenger side frame rail (it is rotted through) and would like to know the best course of action. I searched for past articles and couldn't find anything.

I plan on cutting away the rot, brushing away the rust, using chemical rust removal and Por-15 (sandblasting if I can find a place to do it) then welding on new frame rails. That's the short version.

Thanks for the help in advance. I will be posting more once the holidays are done.

-Gregg Germer-

post-10327-1415079652238_thumb.jpg

post-10327-14150796522738_thumb.jpg

I too will be getting my rust repair parts from Zedd Findings. I'm not sure if Charlie (the owner) sells the frame rails separately, but I know they do come with the floor pan replacements he sells. Definitely worth a call.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen Zedd Findings before and thought about going with them but found this site and liked them.

http://www.baddogparts.com/

They make a deal that fits right over the old frame rail and helps to stiffen the whole thing up. What's your thoughts on these and going this route.

Anything tricky to this repair or is it a strait up cut the rust, weld on patches, treat it and paint it job?

-Gregg-

They make a deal that fits right over the old frame rail and helps to stiffen the whole thing up. What's your thoughts on these and going this route.

-Gregg-

If you cover the rust up it will continue to attack the frame , this would just be a band-ade fix at best . I wouldent cut any thing out untill you have the new parts in hand . Then you will know how much you can cut away and how all the new parts will fit . When you buy floor pans from Zedd F they come with the center stiffner that runs under the floor from the forward seat support to the beginning of the firewall . The pan he sells extends back to where the floor turns upward in back of the seat . The new floors extend upward on each side about 2'' or so . I have pictures of mine when I cut the old floor out and after I fitted the new one , then after the welder was finished . Send me a PM if you are interested . I dident need to do the rails on my 240 just the passenger pan and some repair by the battery area . If you plan on using POR , do a search first , this has been gone over many times and then if you are not clear on the proper preperation , I would be happy to help . Gary

If you cover the rust up it will continue to attack the frame , this would just be a band-ade fix at best . I wouldent cut any thing out untill you have the new parts in hand . Then you will know how much you can cut away and how all the new parts will fit . ..... If you plan on using POR , do a search first , this has been gone over many times and then if you are not clear on the proper preperation , I would be happy to help . Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the suggestion on getting the frame rails first.

I don't plan on just welding over the frame rails, but more cutting out the bad areas that are rotted through (all on the bottom and not the sides of the frame rail). Then adding Por 15 and other products to treat it and then adding the frame rails over the existing ones. I don't want to do a half way done job.

I have read up on Por 15 and feel like I will be able to use it properly. If I run into trouble I will PM you.

Hi Gregg, Wick Humble's book, "How to restore your Datsun Z-car" has a good section on frame rail repair. Also a lot of other good info on how to remove, refinish & replace a lot of the parts. A good book to have, along with a factory service manual for your year.

Welcome to the club and keep us posted as you make progress!

Hi Gregg, Wick Humble's book, "How to restore your Datsun Z-car" has a good section on frame rail repair. Also a lot of other good info on how to remove, refinish & replace a lot of the parts. A good book to have, along with a factory service manual for your year.

Welcome to the club and keep us posted as you make progress!

I have Wick Humble's Book, How to repair your Z and the 1975 service manual for reading material. I have read Humble's book and it's great. If I run into any problems I will be sure to ask the forum or consult the people I know around the Houston area (It's nice to have a best friend that works at a body shop :laugh:

Now if I can only get back home from the holidays and start working on my Z. :lick: