IGNORED

Cowl area Drain Tubes

TomoHawk

On my '78 280Z...

I have this strange dripping inside my car on both sides under where the drain tube/elbow is for the air cowling. On the left it drips on my left foot while driving in the rain, and I assume the same on the right. So when there is a decent rain, the carpet is wet.

I haven't had time to get the cover off and look in there to check the tubes and see if they're blocked, but I plan on it after the car goes into storage. (wish I had a mini video!) These tubes might be cracked, and/or blocked, so they fill up with water and/or drip into the car.

Can somebody tell me if you can get at those drains from the outside of the car? I'll check them & clean as necessary. If they are cracked ( all the rubber parts are dry & cracked so far) Can you get replacements? Has anybody tried removing these tubes without removing the dash first?

thx

Funny you bring this up...my 240Z is at the body shop now, and I suspect mine is also clogged, there's a tube that exits outside the body in front of the passenger side, thought it was related to my A/C but I think it connects to the main cowl drain outlet, I'm planning to "snake" it from there, access through the cowl may be difficult...maybe slightly different on the 280...need to check this over the weekend..

The real only acess to them is pulling the fender and going from the side where they exit the body. Under the cowl their point of exit is almost unreachable but from what I could feel there is a steel tube that enters from the cowl to the under dash area, there a rubber 90 is connected and exits the side under the fender. I suspect Tomo that you have one of 2 problems, either the rubber 90 is cracked as you suspect or you have rust through at one of the seams under the cowl area. I believe with a lot of twisting around on your back you can get to them without removing the dash but it wouldn't be fun.

Before they put the fenders back on, take a look at these photos:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2601&cat=500&page=5&sortby=v&sorttime=all&way=asc

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2602&cat=500&page=4&sortby=v&sorttime=all&way=asc

That PVC tube ends just behind the rubber flap, and is cut in a diagonal with the face facing down and back so that the air flow under the car sucks the water out (like a venturi in a carb).

Hope it helps.

Enrique

The elbows coming off the cowl feed into the extensions I added.

If I had wanted, I could have taken the clear pvc all the way through the kick panel wall to the cowl drain. A little bit of heat and the clear pvc will shape itself real well. Just be careful not to bend it too fast or the walls will collapse.

E

Before they put the fenders back on, take a look at these photos:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2601&cat=500&page=5&sortby=v&sorttime=all&way=asc

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2602&cat=500&page=4&sortby=v&sorttime=all&way=asc

That PVC tube ends just behind the rubber flap, and is cut in a diagonal with the face facing down and back so that the air flow under the car sucks the water out (like a venturi in a carb).

Hope it helps.

Enrique

JUST FOR INFORMATION , THE WHITE FITTING PICTURED IS A SIMPLE 1'' 45 DEGREE ELBOW PVC PIPE FITTING AND IT FITS INSIDE THE FACTORY TUBEING EXITING THE BODY . THANKS ES I did this mod to my 240 also .