IGNORED

z bodies

speedstar

The 260 really is the bastard child. 1/2 of them had 240 bodies, 1/2 had 280 bodies. There are easy to recognize differences like the bumpers, but I don't know if that tells you which body you have in all casee. If you can search you might be able to find the different OD of the strut tubes (240 vs 280), then match that up and figure out which one you have. That would be a sure fire way to tell I think because the rear struts on the 280 body are longer so they can't be used with the 240 shell without modification.

To make matters worse, there were two different bodies for the '71 240Z as well. Early '71s were the same as the '70s, later 71s were the same as '72-73. The differences aren't major, but they are different just the same.

To make matters worse, there were two different bodies for the '71 240Z as well. Early '71s were the same as the '70s, later 71s were the same as '72-73. The differences aren't major, but they are different just the same.

Isn't that a bit simplistic? I have a late 240Z but no pockets for retractable seatbelts.

so how can i tell by looking at my 74 260 if it is a 240 body or a 280 body.

If the yellow turn signal lamps are on the corners below the bumper, same as a 240Z, then you have an early 74. If the turn signal lamps are up in the radiator opening like a 280Z's, you have a late 74.

i dont know if this is a way to tell but in all the pics i see of early 74 260's the rear shock towers are shorter than the ones on the later 74 1/2 and later 260's you can kinda tell in these pics the blue on is a 74 260 and the white one is a 74 also but the shock towers are differnt heights. im guessing the shorter one ( blue one ) is a 240z body and the taller ( white one) is a 280 body. im hoping my theory is correct and i have the 240z body as mine also has smaller bumpers without all the big rubber crap. please help me out you guys have more experiance with these than i do

post-9968-14150796197806_thumb.jpg

post-9968-14150796198263_thumb.jpg

i dont know if this is a way to tell but in all the pics i see of early 74 260's the rear shock towers are shorter than the ones on the later 74 1/2 and later 260's you can kinda tell in these pics the blue on is a 74 260 and the white one is a 74 also but the shock towers are differnt heights. im guessing the shorter one ( blue one ) is a 240z body and the taller ( white one) is a 280 body. im hoping my theory is correct and i have the 240z body as mine also has smaller bumpers without all the big rubber crap. please help me out you guys have more experiance with these than i do

That difference in the shock towers is another way to say what I was saying previously. I had never seen pics of the towers side by side like that. That seems like an easier way to tell than measuring the strut OD.