IGNORED

Anybody using the dual ITG Air Cleaners?

jmark

OK, this is just second hand information but, I've read that the ITG foam filters are not recommended for regular use on street machines as they do not filter as fine a particulate as do paper or gause filters. They are designed for race conditions where maximum airflow is the major concern. Besides, racers tend to service their race cars between races so they may have less than 200 miles on a service. Check out the K&N system (separate filter for each SU).

I ran the ITG for Mikunis on mine for ~40K miles. Eventually it did lose the crank pulley and I had to build a new shortblock because of that. There was no readily apparent engine damage from dirt (like a real bad ring ridge or something of that nature). The big advantage to the ITG's over the K&N's is that the air can go straight down the throat of the carb without having to go around the chrome plate at the end of the filter. I think you're seriously splittling hairs with SU's, though. When I ran SU's I cut the air horn out of the stock air cleaner housing and mounted them inside the K&N's. Worked fine for me.

There are several pictures scattered through the gallery, Search for 'su' and scroll through. Here are a few I found straight off:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=17485

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=16850

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=16848

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=16725

But remember that any of the hoses that connect to the factory air cleaner base plate now will have to have some sort of alternative figured out. The biggest headache is the breather from the valve cover. Many people use a small K&N on the breather, but that can lead to oil mist settling all over the engine compartment. A better alternative is to modify the base of one of the new air cleaners to accept a breather connection.

I would think you would decrease preformance with that setup. You're allowing two big open filters to suck super hot air in from the engine bay (especially with the header right below it).

At least the stock air box pulls the air from the front of the engine bay (a little cooler anyway)

So Mark, what is wrong with the modified stock air cleaner you are now using? Changing to ITG or K&N's isn't going to make much difference over what you have now?

If it were me, I'd probably want to rework the A/C so that I could use the stock air box. Every other A/C I've seen on Z's mounted the compressor on the opposite side of the engine.

I would think you would decrease preformance with that setup. You're allowing two big open filters to suck super hot air in from the engine bay (especially with the header right below it).

At least the stock air box pulls the air from the front of the engine bay (a little cooler anyway)

it's definitely not ideal, but it works for me. i haven't felt any noticible power loss, but i can't honestly say i've felt any gains. it SEEMS like it makes more power, but that's only seat-of-the-pants..

since i'm going to be putting my vented hood on, the vent is right above the filters, so i'm hoping that it will bring in more cold air.