IGNORED

JDM aftermarket and OEM parts

Sundowner

This post hits a particular fond chord with me because one of my first posts here concerned a 'JDM' part. Looking back, I didn't have the slightest idea what I was talking about and, wow, have I learned a lot since.

So lets talk about 'JDM' for a moment. Japanese Domestic Market is an American term, I think. The Japanese don't refer to thier own market area that way. They look at our market area as 'Export' yet we don't refer to our cars as the export version. However, this is really the way it is. At least I believe that our 240Z (HLS30) was an export version of a Japanese car. Pardon those who disagree. When we say we are dealing in JDM parts, we are actually talking about parts that came on the cars that we didn't get in America. We got the "AEM" (American Export Market) parts and it turns out that the Japanese crave our look like we crave theirs.

Another term we use is 'Euro' and this represents another market identification - one that still confuses me. I don't see slang for parts peculiar to South America, Australia, England, etc. I think I want to summarize by saying that 'JDM' is a slang term and I think the point should be considered.

The '240Z' was sold all over the world. Nowhere did it sell like it sold in America. The vast majority of the S30 type came to America and came as one version of all that was available from Datsun at the time. We find the 'JDM' and 'Euro' stuff unique because we didn't get that stuff and rare because that stuff wasn't made in the volume we think of here in America. Study the different versions of the S30 and you will find a a fascinating array of parts and options. A lot of this is discussed here on this site. Search the archives.

Finally, Sundowner mentioned HLS30-H's gallery and I want to explain why Alfadog laughed. HLS30-H (I'm assuming who you are talking about) is actually HS30-H. L means left-hand drive and HS30-H does not have an L. There is significant meaning to his ID and as you begin to look at what cars went to what markets around the world, you will see the significance.

Thanks. I'll get off my soapbox and welcome you new guys, your questions, and enthusiasm. And, yes, JDM parts are expensive. :classic:

Between HLS-30H''s spectactuar picture gallery........

Ooh the irony. :bunny:

SORRY, that was just TOO funny!!

Ouch.

Finally, Sundowner mentioned HLS30-H's gallery and I want to explain why Alfadog laughed. HLS30-H (I'm assuming who you are talking about) is actually HS30-H. L means left-hand drive and HS30-H does not have an L. There is significant meaning to his ID and as you begin to look at what cars went to what markets around the world, you will see the significance.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Thank you. :classic:

So lets talk about 'JDM' for a moment. Japanese Domestic Market is an American term, I think. The Japanese don't refer to thier own market area that way. They look at our market area as 'Export' yet we don't refer to our cars as the export version. However, this is really the way it is. At least I believe that our 240Z (HLS30) was an export version of a Japanese car. Pardon those who disagree. When we say we are dealing in JDM parts, we are actually talking about parts that came on the cars that we didn't get in America.

Very well put. Of course, this will all be covered in that new Z book by Pete Evanow ( sp? ) won't it? Please tell me that it will............. :paranoid:

We got the "AEM" (American Export Market) parts and it turns out that the Japanese crave our look like we crave theirs.

This last statement I can't completely concur with. I'd say that there is an interest amongst some Japanese Z enthusiasts for the "AEM" cars / spec, but they are very much a minority. LHD cars re-imported to Japan generally sell at lower prices than original home-market RHD cars. There are of course honourable exceptions to this that prove the rule.

Sundowner,

I'd advise you to try and gather as much information as you can before embarking on any buying sprees. Come up with a 'look' and a plan, and make 100% certain of what you want before you spend precious money buying any stuff that doesn't fit with the look you are trying to achieve.

Good luck!

Alan T.

Thanks. I'll get off my soapbox and welcome you new guys, your questions, and enthusiasm. And, yes, JDM parts are expensive. :classic:

well alt east my first post inspired some humour, albeit unintentional :D

Sundowner,

I'd advise you to try and gather as much information as you can before embarking on any buying sprees. Come up with a 'look' and a plan, and make 100% certain of what you want before you spend precious money buying any stuff that doesn't fit with the look you are trying to achieve.

no spending sprees for me just yet. I'm still collecting info. I learned that lesson the hard way over the years with other vehicles I've restored.

i.e. do you need any Jeep parts? ;)

man, I gotta learn to read japaneese..

I dont' see anything on that site but misc. lights and interior bits.

can anyone reccomend a magazine I can send him to get?

You can paste the URL in here and choose the to/from language and it will translate it for allowing you to browse the entire site. Be forewarned that Japanese doesn not translate to english very well but it will allow you to read most of it.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Slightly of topic - but re the translation. I love they way Kameari (in Japanese characters 亀有) translates to "Turtle possession". AlanT if I got this wrong please correct me as I would like to ensure I do have it correct (I use these characters while doing research/searches - along with a few others I have picked up over the past year)

Slightly of topic - but re the translation. I love they way Kameari (in Japanese characters 亀有) translates to "Turtle possession". AlanT if I got this wrong please correct me as I would like to ensure I do have it correct (I use these characters while doing research/searches - along with a few others I have picked up over the past year)

NZeder,

That's a good example of machine translation not really being up to snuff........

'Kame' is Japanese for turtle alright, but the word 'possession' is not really the most accurate choice to translate the meaning of the second Kanji character ( when it is placed next to the first ). The meanings of some Kanji characters can often be modified depending on what other kanji characters are surrounding them.

The best thing to remember is that Kanji characters are ideograms, and that a direct translation into English or other similar languages is not always possible ( or even appropriate ).

'Kameari' is actually the name of a place. Kameari Engine Works used to be based in the town district of Kameari, Saitama-ken. They moved a good few years back now to Yashio City, Saitama-ken.

I live in the Bloomsbury district of central London, but nobody here would dream of breaking 'Bloomsbury' down into its component meanings ( probably something to do with flowers ). Our Roman alphabet allows us to see a word and read it without necessarily processing any ideas of how it came to be formed and used, but Japanese and other written languages based on ideograms bring that processing to the fore it seems.

You might get looked at kind of funny if you mentioned anything about turtles to the staff of Kameari Engine Works.............. :bunny:

• 2 weeks later...

Headlight covers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8014124589&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I have a set of these as well as a set of originals. These should reach upwards of $350. If anyone buys these and wants to see what the original hardware and installation instructions look like, PM me with your e-mail address so that I can attach pictures.

CW-