IGNORED

Advice needed: New coil or E.I. Conversion

=Enigma=

Guys, I am in need of a replacement coil. I have a 73' 240Z with a single point dizzy. I am considering simply replacing the old coil with a Crane PS-20 coil, or switching it out for a Crane XR-700 Electronic Ignition Kit. So, should I keep the points or ditch em? Comments?

Yes, you still need a coil when using the Crane XR-700. I installed my Crane EI about 7 or 8 years ago, and I love it. However, you can shop around and find a Pertronix set-up for your Z that will cost less than the Crane set-up. The Pertronix part number is 1761. Victoria British offers the Pertronix for $89.95. Another site (http://www.carshopinc.com/index.php/cPath/21_24_22) offers it for $63.95.

Here's a search to help you find vendors: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Pertronix+ignitor+1761

Hate to ask but was this your skip? you mentioned before ? My 73 ignition is stone stock ,runs very well. at any speed . Im a bit old school, fresh points go along way no big deal to install.

No. the bogging/misfiring was a bad plug wire. I replaced them all with a new set that came with the car. I'm looking into replacing the coil because it is very old and has a wierd screw in top that holds the connector against a screw post in the terminal. The screw cap is brittle and cracking and I'm not sure I'm getting the kind of connectivity I'd like. I've never seen one like this before. I'll get a pic when I get a chance.