IGNORED

new member and need advice, 240Z or 260Z?

37driver

Hi everyone, new member in North Carolina here. I must admit that I know very little about Z cars, I've been restoring MGB's for years. My wife owned a 1976 280Z as a teenager and has been lusting for another Z car for years. I'm going to buy her one for our 20th wedding anniversary and need some advice. She originally wanted a 240 but has found an early 1974 260 that she likes. I'm looking for a very nice car that needs little, I'm already in the middle of a restoration, and having a hard time finding a 240 that fits that description. She's found a really nice, low mileage, all original, 4 speed 260 in California. I've been doing some research on the internet and finding mixed opinions regarding the 240 vs the 260 as far as value as a collectable car. One comment was that the 260 was the least desirable of all the Z cars. I know about the differences in the cars, different engine and horsepower, interior, etc. The 260 is tempting as I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a decent 240. I spent 11 hours today, round trip, to look at a "fresh (turns out it was six years), ground up restoration" 240. Collectable car dealer outside of Atlanta. Looked great in the pictures and from ten feet away. It took me all of ten minutes to spot the vast amounts of body filler, very badly installed rear quarter and the front wheel well beaten out with a hammer. I'm not an expert, it was just that bad. And he wanted fifteen grand! This is what I'm consistently finding. I'm seriously leaning toward the 260 and about to pull out what little hair I have left! Am I making a mistake here? We're really wanting a car that will appreciate in value. Could you please give me your opinions on which car would be best to buy as far as appreciating in value, resale value and reliabilty? Thanks, Mike

Buy the 260, if's it performance you want then change over the carbs. {no boat anchor jokes either as my 260 still has the original carb]

I've got both [240 & 260], my partner loves driving 260, not the 240 go figure....must be a girls car after all.....

Good luck and welcome to the club.....

MOM

I'm in a similar boat, same background, but looking for a project, not a ready-to-drive car. I posted a similar question a while back (http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18300) and came to the conclusion that for a driver, there's no reason not to get a 260. If you want a "collector" car, buy a 240, the earlier the better.

There really isn't anything wrong with a 260 other than the carbs. As you aluded to it has different trim parts and bumpers and such from a 240 . The 260 engine is a 240 block with 280 crank. Nothing wrong with this either. As to a collectable car you are going to pay , but fine a clean as your can '70. Just like with any collectable thing the first year is the one most sought after. If you plan on driving the car , then this is not a issue , buy the 260. Just stay away from the 2+2 cars if you want resale value. This is my 2c . Gary

I spent 11 hours today, round trip, to look at a "fresh (turns out it was six years), ground up restoration" 240. Collectable car dealer outside of Atlanta. Looked great in the pictures and from ten feet away. It took me all of ten minutes to spot the vast amounts of body filler, very badly installed rear quarter and the front wheel well beaten out with a hammer. I'm not an expert, it was just that bad. And he wanted fifteen grand! This is what I'm consistently finding. I'm seriously leaning toward the 260 and about to pull out what little hair I have left! Am I making a mistake here? We're really wanting a car that will appreciate in value. Could you please give me your opinions on which car would be best to buy as far as appreciating in value, resale value and reliabilty? Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Let me guess, you went to look at the Red 240Z at "Classic and Investment Autos" in Gainsville, GA that was listed on Hemmings? Your right, that thing really needs a lot of work. Did you notice that the dash cover was not even attached?

I also have an MGB! Are you a professional restorer, or do you just do your own cars? Shoot me an email or PM with your contact info, I may be able to help you out!

For an investment the 240 is the way to go, and it needs to be a `70 with a low vin number (under 5000) but that will cost you a bit of cash. You should be able to find a `71-`73 240 in good shape for 6k or so. I have a friend that is going to sell a `70 for 4K soon, the car does not have any rust and the interior is original and rough, it does need new paint and new interior, it was stored in a garage for 20 years or so in California, it is a good car for restoration but not something you would buy and drive without some beautification, in the end you would spend around 8-10k to buy the car and paint it and make it look nice, not to bad for a good looking non restored rustless `70 with a vin in the 7000's. Finding any older car in good shape takes time wheather it is an old Mustang or a Zed. Be patient and you will find what you are looking for, do not settle for something else because you want it now. In the long run you will be happier getting what you wanted in the first place and the time you waited to get it will not seem that long in the end.

I agree for resale an early 240 is the only way to go , but for really enjoying the car and driving around the 260 is a great car. The price diffrence between the two can be huge, especially on the east coast. Early vin units , fairlady , documented low mile cars and ones that are in extremely good condition can double the value easily. But again its a case of what the buyer is willing to pay. Best thing to do is to pick up a good solid 240 or 260 in the midwest or cali and rebuild it yourself you will save yourself the shipping in time in money on body work. Funny part whenever looking at a Z for sale and the selling hypes it up expect the worst because that probably is what you will get. My 72 will be for sale sale soon maybe if my 71 ever get out of the shop. But will be 2 months or so . :)Good Luck

Thanks guys for all of the advice. Doug, you are correct about the dealer in Gainesville GA. What a pile of junk! No, I'm not a professional restorer, just a hobby. Good news though, found my wife a car and for less than that pile of crap. A 1971 240, 2 owner with 81000 documented miles. Interior is original except for the driver's seat which has been recovered. Even has all of the original tools, jack, and spare tire, none of which have been used and look new. Original owner's and radio manuals and warranty book. The interior is perfect and the dash is original with 2 very tiny cracks. (anyway to stop these from enlarging and what's best to put on the dash as far as treatment?) Everthing works, including the clock and the original Hitachi am/fm radio. The last owner had the car from 1978 and did a lot of work to it. Replaced 2 rust areas, one in the driver's rear quarter, just behind the door area and the other in the rear valance in the exhaust outlet area. Then had the car stripped to bare metal and had a beautiful white paint job done. The car has Dulop sport tires and Panasport wheels. Again, Thanks for the advice and I'm sure I'll be asking other questions soon as I start to learn about these cars. Mike

aussie guy--we're talking about USA 240 vs 260...I think the mindset is a little different in Australia...

Go with the 240 because you mention 'collectible'...get a 70, 71, or 72.

The 260 isn't going to be nearly as collectable, if ever, in comparison.

But if the 260 is something you'd like, the 73 240z is also a good choice, very similiar to the early 260 but without the increase in motor size. (same horrible stock carbs)--anyone serious about selling one of these 73/74 rigs is going to have had the carbs replaced with ones from a 70-72 Zed. (except maybe like California for smog purposes).

Just .02 dollars.

Hi Mike:

Have you looked into local Z Clubs? I just moved here from Atlanta, and joined up with Triangle ZCar Club in Raleigh. They do a lot of events with the Tarheel Sports Car Club, as well as the Triad Z Clun in G'boro and Emerald City Z Club in Eastern NC. Of course, if you're near Charlotte, Carolina ZClub is very active and has a great website. Lots of useful info from the local clubs, too, so feel free to join whichever club is closest!

Emerald City Z is having a parts swap meet the weekend of Sept. 24. I'm sure by then you will have some ideas about what parts you might need...

Interested in a little light reading? Go grab a copy of Wick Humble's book on restoring Z Cars.

Good luck, and let us know how we can help you.

Steve

If you are interested in a 260 there is a dealer here in santa fe NM that has an all original 260 that is a dark emerald green black interior it needs the tach cable and an oil pressure sending unit other than that its a great car 113,000 original miles there is one little crack in the console and that is it he is asking $5,495.00 it is definitlyworth looking into his number is 505-820-6929 ask for dave well anybody can help really im too busy restoreing my 260 to pick this one up well happy hunting and it is a later model with the larger bumpers on it

AT THIS POINT IN TIME: The 240 Z is considered more collectible / desireable than the 260, or 280. This excludes the 2+2 models because the 240 did not have any.

IN 15-20 years: It ~may~ be that the 260 2+2 or the 280 2+2; end up being the most "collectible" because nobody bothered to save them way back when.

Maybe I have the "terminology" in error, but I think you guys can get the basic gist of my message.

Someone recently pointed out that there were "tons" of 240's for sale that were AUTOMATIC, and therefore he wondered why that would be the case especially since their production figures (about 9% of the TOTAL Z production) were so low.

A lot of reasons were bandied about, but one other reason may simply be that everybody found the A/T to be less "desireable" and therefore they eschewed them en masse. Now, 30 years later, they've become acceptable simply because you can't find a MANUAL Z in good condition without paying big bucks. What will 20 years bring? The 260 2+2 may indeed become collectible or it may be an A/T 240 with an original Landau vinyl roof.

Or then again, it might be that the A/T cars didn't get beat to the ground like their Manual Tranny brethren, and therefore they've survived the years better.

So, if you're looking to buy a vehicle that will appreciate....well, let me look at my little crystal ball......

Do you see the problem in telling you what to buy?

As a 2¢ opinion, get the BEST car that you can AFFORD. That way you won't be shoveling in the $ fixing it up, only to discover that payback on that type of investment runs about 10 to 30 cents on the dollar. But spend it on a car that won't nickel and dime you to death just "maintaining" it.

Enrique