IGNORED

Aging Man with an Aging Car -- I need help

wm_e_smith

hey Steve,

I was just playing around, just because your probably one of the closest ones to me in the club. So you just moved there? from where? glad you missed all the terrible fires a couple of years ago..

** and by the way thats a beautiful 810**

wish i had the resources to get one, id love to have one. maybe next year around tax time :)

JacK

Moreno Valley

We moved here from Fontana after having lived there since 2000. Prior to that we lived in Upland for three years. The 810 is okay for a daily driver which is how I use it but some of the cosmetic parts are really hard to find. I've been looking for a good pair of inner windshield pillar moldings for two years now with no luck. I've only seen about ten or so of them in the junkyards in the 2+ years I've had mine and amongst those only three 2 doors one of which was my parts car which I sold to them.

William,

hmmm the price of a cheap new car seems a bit steep for an 810 for me at the moment. appreciate the offer though :) I was thinking more along a the lines of a local fixxer upper needing mechanical work for not too much cash :)

Though listening to Steven, it appears they are in short supply..I wonder if many wagons still exist? Ive seen one of those nicely restored and it looked great.

Stephen, it was a nice looking 810. It's admirable.

Jackboxxx, I'd sell you mine only that you realize that you would have to haul it from Ohio to Moreno Valley. I will guarantee you that it will be running smoothly at the time of pick up. The power steering fluid which disappears, the struts and rear shocks, and the looks of its outside and interior would be your problem, otherwise I myself am in love with it. Although, if you offered an amount where I could buy the cheapest new car on the market, regardless of how cheap it is, my car will be on its way back to God's country, southern California.

Now come on, me and my car are getting old, have a heart!

But then I'll say, for an old car which was once taken real care of, in recent years, the looks have been neglected but I have always kept it running top knotch.

I just knew that you were interested.

I talked with an unknown repair shop. Explained that car would not start, left a note on front seat, and called towing company. Car was towed this morning but before I sent it off, I decided to check the fluid levels. Oil indicator showed that I was above the HIGH mark, smelled the dipstick, decided I had gas in the crankcase, immediately thought that the problem was flooding because of a defective cold start valve, added to the note that I had written what my thoughts were, and off it went.

I called this evening and ask if they had a chance to look at it. I was told that they have been charging the battery all day, haven't done anything to the car yet, but they started it. So I'll wait until they do something. Their starting it boosted my spirits, and at this point, I still suspect the cold start valve which caused the excessive flooding and the inability to start the car.

I'll let you know what they come up with.

Ouch. Be wary of gasoline contaminated oil! This flooding can trash your engine, as it did mine.

A mind boggler -- picked up car for a mere $140.50. Was told that I had spark plugs that were not good enough -- the heat range was insufficient. This was a new thing to me after 26 years but I won't complain. The car is now running great - with power, zip, and smoothness. I'm elated that what I did didn't screw things up and it didn't cost me a bundle. Since I had just replaced the spark plugs with whatever CarQuest had sold me, they were not even a suspect.

Next time I'll go by the book and make sure the spark plugs are the right ones.

Although it's doing good today, tomorrow may be different.

William,

hmmm the price of a cheap new car seems a bit steep for an 810 for me at the moment. appreciate the offer though :) I was thinking more along a the lines of a local fixxer upper needing mechanical work for not too much cash :)

Though listening to Steven, it appears they are in short supply..I wonder if many wagons still exist? Ive seen one of those nicely restored and it looked great.

Occasionally, I see the 810's. Within the last 5 years, I saw two like mine and another which was a station wagon down in Mississippi. Here in Ohio (within last 3 years), I haven't seen one, even a Datsun, but I have heard many people comment on mine just because it's a Datsun. But I don't get out too much anymore. They are problably out there. Maybe the non-existence of them here is because of the salt poured all over the streets, highways, and interstates. I see cars that a lot younger than mine that look worse, and seem to be falling apart because of rust.

The reasons I still have this car are many, it has always been dependable, it's what I chose to hang on after retirement, it was cheaper for me to spend a few dollars to keep it going than car payments, I became more closely involved when I dedicated my own attention to it rather than auto repair shops, and my interest kept growing. And, now I have realized that this web site can help, not only by others solving my problems but by reading the various threads to see how others were helped.

Now go out and buy that local fixxer upper. And be patient. It might someday look better than Stephen's. Who knows?

And if you do it yourself rather than buy an unfamiliar already 'nice looking' thing, you'll be mighty proud of it and more proud of yourself.

To wm e smith: I'm glad to hear that your car is running well. I only use NGK B6ES-11 spark plugs in my Z and my 810. I've tried others but those work the best.

To jackboxxx: A wagon just closed on ebay. I actually see wagons and 4 doors occaisionally but have never see another 2dr on the road. The other two 2drs I am aware of belong to Joe (240ztt) who is a member here and Zcarnut who is a member on HyridZ. Joe bought his on ebay about a year or so ago for a fairly reasonable price and it is comming along well. Zcarnut's 810 is by far the cleanest of the three at this point. (Although I don't really care much for the rear spoiler)

post-3797-14150796183875_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150796184297_thumb.jpg

Any idea what the 810 sold for on ebay?

To wm e smith: I'm glad to hear that your car is running well. I only use NGK B6ES-11 spark plugs in my Z and my 810. I've tried others but those work the best.

To jackboxxx: A wagon just closed on ebay. I actually see wagons and 4 doors occaisionally but have never see another 2dr on the road. The other two 2drs I am aware of belong to Joe (240ztt) who is a member here and Zcarnut who is a member on HyridZ. Joe bought his on ebay about a year or so ago for a fairly reasonable price and it is comming along well. Zcarnut's 810 is by far the cleanest of the three at this point. (Although I don't really care much for the rear spoiler)

William,

Hope you know that I was joking. My 810 is a treasure to me for various reasons. I am dedicated to keep it going and I am sure, being what it is, it will outlive me.

Hope you know that I was joking. My 810 is a treasure to me for various reasons. I am dedicated to keep it going and I am sure, being what it is, it will outlive me.

Oh you were :) good good, I didnt want to hurt your feelings if you were serious about wanting that kind of cash for your baby.

my wife would kill me at this point if i drug home another car :)