Substitute for M.C. caps? - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Substitute for M.C. caps?

Featured Replies

On a 78 280Z,

Are there any other caps that will fit the brake Master Cylinder? Mine are rusting from the heat & rain.

Mine also have the wiring for the brake light, but I'm not sure I'll worry about that right now.

thx

  • Author

By shiney, you mean the cad-plated (goldish) ones? Aside from a new oil pressure (switch/sender) everything is plain aluminum or steel colored. Except for a few rusty spots on the throttle rod. :hurt:

thx

Not sure.. I think they are clear Zinc as they are in the earlier models. I buy new ones for the roadster all the time (same cap as the 70 Z). To get it ready for shows, it's a small cost for one less visual distraction.

Can you get new ones and then have them clear coated? That should help keep them looking fresh and new.

Just a thought

Vicky

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I tried clear-coating mine with polyurethane. Obviously didn't work, and the heat and (humidity) did a number on them. New one should be fine, but I've seen two kinds- ones with the wiring, and ones without.

  • Author
I buy new ones for the roadster all the time. To get it ready for shows, it's a small cost for one less visual distraction.

Exactly. For some reason, people always go to look in that corner of the engine bay, and it's the first thing they see. I noticed this at a show I was at Sunday, and people seemed to be scared off by them. :mad:

I tried clear-coating mine with polyurethane. Obviously didn't work, and the heat and (humidity) did a number on them. New one should be fine, but I've seen two kinds- ones with the wiring, and ones without.

Either can be purchased!

Vicky, The one's on Hubbie's red are chromed, right? Did he have to disassemble them to do that?

  • Author

They come apart, but you'd have to do some fancy bending so they go back together without all the ripples. If I could do it, I would have already, and re-wired them too.

The early "zinc" ones are Tokico brand and were shared with the Roadster. The later "yellow CAD" plated ones are Nabco brand. Early Nabco dont have the wires, later style do.

Make sue you keep this stuff in mind when ordering replacements.

Joseph

well, i had to use saran wrap with a rubber band for a while...if it's an emergency. Kind of Dukes of Hazard-ish but it works.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.