IGNORED

Help! Door Panel Problems!!

zeewhiz

:sick: Hey Guys!

I am in a bind here. I just purchased a 77 280z and am beginnig work on it. However, the passenger door wont open. It appears that the locking mechanism has disengaged from both handles, inside and out. I was going to take the door panel off from inside and disengage the latch manually to open the door, but i cant seem to get it off. Ive taken the arm rest and the chrome back plate off of the interior handle, but it still wont come off. Am I going to have to rip it off and screw up an other wise perfect door panel? Am I missing a screw or something? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

I'm vague on the 280's, but as a rule of thumb on most cars, you need to make sure that the window crank, courtesy lights, and any type of "fixed mount" item as well as the door lock pin (the one at the top of the door to lock the door by).

Then you usually start at the lower edge of the panel and start pulling the panel clips out of the door body (not the panel). These are typically wire or spring metal clips in the shape of the letter Omega (for lack of a better term), that is, the clip must be compressed in order to be removed from the hole it fits into.

Lastly, you LIFT the bottom edge of the panel and disengage the part of the panel inserted INTO the door by the window. This can be a real bear to do with the window rolled up.

As a final note, if you can roll the window down, you might be able to reach inside the door with a long straight rod and push on the door lock mechanism and get the door to open.

HTH

Enrique

If you guys would show us where you live, using "user CP" then "edit profile" under "Additional information", then maybe one of us that are near you could come over and help you out. :stupid:

Sometimes I get the feeling that the club members who don't list this information are hiding from the FBI!

ok on the 77, take the 2 screws out of the arm rest, take the window crank handle off by removing the little clip behind it ( BIATCH), then take the screw outa the plate behind the door handle and then start at the bottom and pry between the door and the panel and it will start popping off, might still be stuck with that tar crap!!!!!!

Ive taken the arm rest and the chrome back plate off of the interior handle, but it still wont come off. Am I going to have to rip it off and screw up an other wise perfect door panel? Am I missing a screw or something? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Attached are the front, back and close up of the back of the passenger door panel, **edit* 76 *edit** 280Z Coupe

If you don't see a similar view when looking at yours from the inside of the car, i.e. door latch still mounted then remove those items.

Pic one is the front view. Also shown is an invaluable tool that I use for getting between the door panel and metal door frame, to assist in removing the plastic rivets that keep the panel from rattling.

Pic two is the rear view, missing some plastic rivets.

Pic three is a close up of the plastic rivets.

Wayne

post-6279-14150795636254_thumb.jpg

post-6279-14150795636732_thumb.jpg

post-6279-14150795637103_thumb.jpg

I put a moisture barrier on my '71. It did not have any plastic on the door. I spent considerable time putting this plastic over the door. Is this required or did I spend a lot of time for nothing. This car will not be driven in the rain or left out in the weather. I probably wasted my time. I was only out some silicone caulking but I could have been doing other things. Do you guys seal your doors? :nervous:

I did, but then again I have and will drive in the rain again. After all I'm in the Pacific Northwest. You'd really be limiting your use of the car if you insisted on totally dry weather.

The vapor barrier also works to keep dust and dirt out of the cabin, as well as fumes and noise.

2¢

Enrique

I really do not drive my 'show' vehicles in the bad weather. I have an old Durango for wet weather. My '68 Dart and my Z will not be driven in the winter and hopefully they will not get too wet in the summertime. Now, a spring shower may catch me once in a while but I will head for the garage instantly. My car is just too clean underneath to get that road scum all over it. I'm just too lazy to clean it all the time.

I put a moisture barrier on my '71. It did not have any plastic on the door. I spent considerable time putting this plastic over the door. Is this required or did I spend a lot of time for nothing. This car will not be driven in the rain or left out in the weather. I probably wasted my time. I was only out some silicone caulking but I could have been doing other things. Do you guys seal your doors? :nervous:

I know the factory put plastic sheeting on the doors of '75 280Z's. It was installed on the inside steel part of the door between the door and interior panel with a black, gummy, sticky goo, and the plastic sheeting covered the entire area just shy of being seen around the edges of the interior panel. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I believe it's mainly there to protect the interior panel fiberboard from moisture.

I know if I knew my doors didn't have those protective barriers, I'd sure be looking into getting some on there soon. After all, you gotta wash the car sometime. :nervous: While you're working on the doors, make sure the drain holes are clear and protected to prevent rust.

One final thought. I recall now that when I first pulled my door panels off a few years ago, the original plastic sheeting was kind of thin compared to the 3 mil stuff on there now. It was also brittle and tearing apart. Like anything else on these old cars, things do get old and wear out. So it's probably a good idea for most of us that haven't had the panels off for awhile to pull them and see what shape the protective barrier is in.

I intalled 6 mil plastic sheets. I actually used the bags that came with the new Panasports. They are YELLOW. Who will ever know. This is tough stuff and will last a long time. Thank you Panasport! I left the small plugs out of the bottom of the doors. Should I have? I thought the water would drain out better with the holes open. Trapped water is our enemy.