IGNORED

licence plate light

Ed

I'm finishing up the tail light finisher panel and the licence plate light assembly. I was wondering if they were all the same color? The tail light finisher panel is that dull grey (I forget the technical name) are they both the same?

The license plate light was originally painted "satin black" from the factory. There are some brand new OEM units on ebay right now if anyone should need verification of this. The tailight surrounds were the grey colour, along with the grille and the caps.

Joseph

While on the topic and I believe Will is correct I think they were all Gray or Grey. However I wasn't around in 70-77 so I can't really confirm it.

Also I noticed one of the main problems with the license plate globe holder is that there is meant to be two metal sleaves that slide inside it to protect the plastic from the heat of the bulbs. If this is missing the cover becomes warped and cracks. I could find the original bolts for mine either so I had to make do with what I had here something to take care of in the future.

Also not that you haven't thought of it already Ed but I cleaned mine up in warm soapy water which and tooth brush to clean up the lense part and the white plastic bit. FWIW

Just figured I'd share that since we are on the topic and all.

I cleaned mine up really good with soapy water and a toothbrush. Then I went over it with a scotchbrite pad. There was no evidence of paint on the housing, however there was a little bit of grey overspray on the backside. I don't know if this is from a previous paint job or what. The clear lenses cleaned up really good with some polishing compound and the base will get a coat of gloss white to help brighten things up.