IGNORED

MR2 or 240z-I have to choose :(

Room4/2

Don't keep us out! I'd like to hear the winning points of the MR2.

:ermm: Okay…okay…I’ve owned my MR2 for 6 months now, and have owned five 240Zs in my life off and on since the age of 16. I am now 40 years old. Comparing stock examples “head-to-head,” I would have to give a slight advantage to the MR2. Again, I own a NA (normally aspirated), not a turbo, which has 135 horsepower versus the turbo’s 200. Compare that to a 1972 240Z with about 150 horsepower.

Now, let me caveat my comments with the fact that I just drove my MR2 back and forth from work today, while my 240Z has been sitting on jacks not having been driven for about a year. So, that may be swaying my vote toward the little Toyota.

Aspects I like about the MR2:

1. I think the stock MR2 handles better stock 240Z. Yes, I’m aware that the MR2 is over 20 years newer and thus more advanced. But my goodness, it is so fun to drive a mid-engine sports car through twisty roads.

2. Going topless! I have to admit, there’s nothing like driving on a warm summer day with the t-tops off.

3. The styling of the 1991-1995 (MK II) MR2 has always caught my eye. I’ve had a soft spot in my heart of the Ferrari 308GTS for a long time. It might because I spent my formative years growing up in Hawaii when Magnum P.I. was on the tube. I’ve always known that a 308 would not be practical, so the MR2, also known as the “Poor Man’s Ferrari”, would be a logical alternative.

4. For an inline 4, 2.2 liter motor with 85,000 mile on it, the Toyota pulls very strong. In addition, I’m averaging over 25 miles per gallon. In contrast, I was averaging 20 MPG with the 240Z. This might be because I was really “lead footing” the Datsun.

As I stated above, I’m comparing stock vehicles that are over a two decades apart in automotive evolution. That said, either car could outperform the other given the proper suspension and engine modification. And should I get behind the wheel of my 240Z again when its restoration is complete, my opinion may change. Plus, the Datsun doesn’t require one to be a contortionist to work on it compared to the mid-engine MR2.

As for value, hands down the 240Z is worth more and harder to find in decent shape. However, low mileage MR2s can fetch a good asking price as well.

Example:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/ida/vdetail.jsp?result_car_id=null&dealer_id=505848&car_id=181038164

Personally, I think the price is a little steep. But what would one pay for a mint 240Z with that mileage?!

In the MR2 community, if you own a low mileage 1995 MR2 turbo that is SMG (steel mist grey) with a black leather interior, you are sitting on a gold mine.

Bottom line…my heart will always be with the 240Z with its classic GT styling and primordial ergonomics. However, the MR2 does have some positive aspects, which shouldn’t be readily discounted. Finally, if I had to sell one, I would have to say “sayonara” to the Toyota. For now, I feel fortunate to have both.

Alright…I have donned my nomex suit, flame away. :dead: