IGNORED

Last week, on my way to work...

Part of the route I travel to work each day is along a four lane divided highway which has a well positioned stop light and a straight stretch of road. One morning last week I was approaching the light in the left lane when it turned red. A late 60's Chevelle SS was in the right lane and he decided to pull into the left lane in front of me just before the intersection. Of course I moved into the right lane and approached the light. As I slowed I noticed that the Chevelle SS was in really nice shape. It was painted arrest-me-red with two white racing stripes and a vanity plate which read "2 FAST".

I pulled to a stop and looked over. It was on. When the light turned green, I dropped the clutch and took off. As I shifted into second, I could see the Chevelle in my side mirror, about two car lengths back with its nose raised high as he tried to catch up. As I shifted into third, I eased off at about 65 mph and the Chevelle continued accelerating past me, the driver looking pissed off.

I tell you, that morning run made my whole day...

On a totally unrelated issue, I just finished reading "Cannonball!: World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race" by Brock Yates. This is a truly entertaining read that I recommend to any car nut out there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0760316333/002-4430314-5696828?v=glance

If it was a 396 Chevelle he must have missed a shift or had a really lousy running engine. I also thought this was going to be a crunch story via your introduction. But it is good that this event made your day and boosted your spirits.

Vicky - No, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make the autoX. I'm getting ready to head out on vacation at the end of next week (10-26 June). We'll be doing a tour of Florida. Actually, if I time it just right, I may be able to pass through Ocala on the 11th. I guess we'll see. I don't think my wife would want me running the Honda (Odyssey) through the autoX though. I can just imagine the tires howling in protest!

Kinfish - I just checked the following link and it looks like a 396 Chevelle should run 0-60 mph in the 6.5 sec range (http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-chevelle/chevrolet-chevelle-history.shtml).

I also recently ran a late model Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT (0-60 mph 5.7 sec) form a standing start and held my own (door handle to door handle) http://www.modernracer.com/subarulegacygt.html

and a 2001ish BMW M3 Convertable (0-60 mph ~5.4 sec) from a rolling start, couldn't close on me. http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

A few years ago I ran against my buddies 300ZX TT (Stock, 0-60 mph 5.2-6sec) from a standing start and he could not close on me through 65 mph.

I figure my 240Z would run 0-60mph in 5.5-6.0 sec range.

DISCLAIMER - all of these runs were made on a secluded four-lane highway where the limit is 55 mph and I usually back out of the throttle after I shift into third (~62mph). :classic:

PS: I changed the title of my post

Sean, what is that color? A buddy of mine has a brown (color 114) 72. It has the tan interior like yours. He is taking it to the paint shop this coming weekend and wants to paint it a BMW blue. Man, I like that green, I'm going to go get him and tell him to check out your color first!!! Thanks

ncz,

The color my car is painted is based upon the 1973 240Z green (avocado?) with a lot of gold metalic flake mixed in. It's a base coat / clear coat. When the sun hits the car, it's stunning.

Cheers,

I still remember one night back in 2003 when I destroyed a new WRX with my RX-7 (racing from 60km/h), that guy was pissed. 40G's for his WRX and he couldn't beat a shitty late 80's FC3S!

Good Times!

• 1 month later...
Part of the route I travel to work each day is along a four lane divided highway which has a well positioned stop light and a straight stretch of road. One morning last week I was approaching the light in the left lane when it turned red. A late 60's Chevelle SS was in the right lane and he decided to pull into the left lane in front of me just before the intersection. Of course I moved into the right lane and approached the light. As I slowed I noticed that the Chevelle SS was in really nice shape. It was painted arrest-me-red with two white racing stripes and a vanity plate which read "2 FAST".

I pulled to a stop and looked over. It was on. When the light turned green, I dropped the clutch and took off. As I shifted into second, I could see the Chevelle in my side mirror, about two car lengths back with its nose raised high as he tried to catch up. As I shifted into third, I eased off at about 65 mph and the Chevelle continued accelerating past me, the driver looking pissed off.

I tell you, that morning run made my whole day...

On a totally unrelated issue, I just finished reading "Cannonball!: World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race" by Brock Yates. This is a truly entertaining read that I recommend to any car nut out there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0760316333/002-4430314-5696828?v=glance

Just out of curiuosity what do you have done to your engine? If thats stock then i think i've been under-estimating datsuns. (i woulnt know how fast my car is because its never run since i got it!)